News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romanian Reference Materials

One thing I found out early into collecting Romanian items is that there is pitifully little out there as far as ready reference materials go. While I have built a virtual library of reference sites on the net, sometimes it's just nice to have a book (guess I'm just "old school" that way). The one book I do have is written in German, most images are not in colour... the one use-able colour plate is of ribbons (shown) but, in defense of the author, the material contained is quite informative and obviously well researched. It is a book I do not want to be without. Anyway, it's written by Rainier Schmitt and it's titled, "Die Auszeichnungen Rumaniens 1948-1989". It is large format.

Guest Rick Research

All I've got is the late unlamented Dr. Klietmann's "Phaleritik Rümanien: Band 1" from... 1975. Decent, as was any of his work not shilling his industrially produced Third Reich frauds, but dated.

Are those prices or numbers awarded? Can't tell from the size of your scans. Prices... on any "Official Price Guide" are generally fairly meaningless and do not "age" well. I'd rather--much rather--know that there were 3,200 of Thing X and 187,126 of Thing Y and decide for myself what that makes either "worth."

Hey Rick,

They are quite out-dated prices. Maybe good for comparison, but that's about it.

One thing I especially like about this book is that Schmitt shows which awards had versions that were struck in precious metal (gold) along with the brass versions, although no numbers are given as far a production runs- and that includes all metals. I really wonder if records of that exist??? You and I are probably more used to the precision of both Soviet and East German methods- accountability, accurate book keeping, "this is this and that is that". What I've found as I moved closer to the warmer climate of the Black Sea (Romania and Bulgaria) is a much more "laid back" approach to these sorts of things. Maddening at first, but easy enough to get used to.

The one use-able colour plate... also a quick reference to the medals that went from the Soviet style 5 sided mount to the later straight mount.

The "later" mount was an attempt to return to the traditional shape of ribbons for the Romanian medals.

There are several books on Romanian awards, but most of them deal with the pre-1948 awards. One of them however has a small section on the communist-era decorations.

S. Catone, N. Şerbănescu, D. Bedivan România - Decoraţii 1859-1991 [Romania - Decorations 1859-1991] Bucharest 1992

The book is rather a disappointment given the "wealth" of information on the royal awards, so I presume it is equally spartan on the communist-era decorations. But it is one of the few references available.

Another great reference book especially in regards to Romanian Military Aviation badges:-

INSIGNELE Aviatiei Militare Romane.

ROMANIAN AIRFORCE BADGES.

by

Lt. cdor ® ILIESE MARCEL.

Just over 90 pages in full glossy colour covering the period from 1914 - 2007

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Guest Rick Research

Nobody ever used his extremely complex but thorough numerical cataloging system, but this is an example of "the Good Klietmann" (when he wasn't poisoning German collecting with mass produced frauds)

This sort of format, adding what is known about numbers awarded and construction variants, would still be ideal-- just ditch his 6 digit numbers for something less difficult to remember!

Guest Rick Research

We're used to color online these days, but black and white was all there was in the 1960s and 1970s. But this pitch black inky background for "shine flashlights on the awards" photography has always annoyed me. Just use a light colored background! :banger:

One thing I have found about collecting is that, over the years, you learn. And, while I do not profess fluency in Russian, German or Romanian, I have had my nose stuck in various manuals such as Avers and Bartel's or websites such as Okazii over several years to the extent that I can usually figure out what I need to know about an award or badge whether it be written in Russian, German or Romanian. I believe most collectors are in the same boat as I with respect to this. And yes, there's always Bablefish.:beer:

• 9 months later...

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2010/post-950-127860539159.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2010/post-950-127860541193.jpg

Despite being dated 2010, contains very poor pictures, and even

hopelessly realistic values. :(

The same guy did a previous book on Communist awards with far better pictures.

Kevin in Deva. :beer: