News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Militarpass Help:

Gentlefolk, here is a Militarpass I bought a while back. It looks to me to be a reissue upon return document to a young man, Pvt. Wietbrock, (born Oct. 1898) who went into Ersatz Battln. IR 15 shortly after his 18th birthday. All the front personal information appears to have been added later and in summary form.

As near as I can make out he was awarded the EK2 in 1918 and the Lipp. Verdeinst cross in 1917. It appears as if he went into POW status in Sept. 1918 and returns in 1919.

However, my sutterlein is not "sharp". Can any kind, gentlefolk out there help me with this?

My thanks.

Edited by Ulsterman

Hi Ulsterman,

Milit?rp?sse are my favourite subject and that is a nice example with an uncommon award entry. Is there a list of battles and engagements that was pasted onto one page or sewn into the document?

Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 457 was part of 236. Infanterie-Division and he probably saw action at Arras and in Champagne and Flanders, where he was captured.

The dotted lines are the parts that I find illegible at this resolution. The "telegram" style is typical for such entries. The document is quite likely a Zweitschrift (duplicate) filled in and given to him when he was discharged.

Pages 8 and 9:

Served from 16.1.17 to 9.10.18 with this company and was wounded on 16.6.17 by a shell splinter to left nostril and transferred to main dressing station of Sanit?ts-Kompagnie 248.

Transferred to light-wounded attachment in B..... on 17.6.17.

Wounded in left foot (?) by infantry round on 18.4.18 and sent to main dressing station of Sanit?ts-Kompagnie 248.

20.4.18 sent to light-wounded attachment in D......

24.4.-15.6.18 .............. (looks like a hospital) Brussels

14.8.18 (north/east/south/west?) of Schloss Langhof near Ypres wounded in the right hand by a shell splinter and transferred to Sanit?ts-Kompagnie 248

15.8.18 sent to the field ...............................

Taken prisoner on 9.10.18

EK2 9.7.18

Lipp. Verd. Kreuz 30.10.17

Battles:

Conduct: good

Disciplinary measures/punishments: none

The dates on the second page seem to be slightly contradictory, i.e. he seems to have been in a transit camp in Mannheim months after he was discharged. This must be some sort of clerical error, or I can't read the dates properly.

Pages 10 and 11:

Wietbrock returned from captivity and was assigned to Dulag (Durchgangslager = transit camp) Mannheim

10.12.19 4. Kompagnie Infanterie-Regiment 158 and was discharged to Sonneborn, Detmold Military District on 26.9.19

Received 50 Marks discharge pay and a demob suit

David

Thank you!

No, it has no battles-merely Gewehr 98 etc., conduct, Stamrolle # 4900 1916, etc. There was more pasted in the back-but mere shreds remain.

No wound badge entry-but I'll bet he got his in 1935 on the reissue. He wouldv'e been just old enough for recall in 1940 too.