News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Leopold II with Attached Swords & Gold Stripped Ribbon

Gldank

unsure.gif I picked this medal up awhile ago but I have a problem with the ribbon. I realize the medal itself is unofficial with the crossed swords attached to the cross but with a gold stripped ribbon too. I think that it is a WWII ribbon put on a WWI Leopold II cross. What do you all think? unsure.gif

Edited by Gldank

Hi James,

Any pictures? I don't see any??

If the Leopold II has crossed swords attached to the medal, then yes, unofficial. However, we know they exist as veterans do have them in their collections. Either way though, the gold striped ribbons were for civilians that were recognized during wartime hostilities and should not have swords at all (on the medal or ribbon suspension).

Tim

Oops, I was too fast in my response; your PICS are there now.

Edited by Tim B

James,

Might be okay (other than the unoffcial swords) as the palm has the Leopold III on it and that would put it probably Korea timeframe. If memory serves me correctly, those changed to the single "L" around 1952; the same timeframe that the center motif changed to the bilingual French/Dutch font.

Tim

wink.gifInteresting Thanks Tim. I have found that if I post the topic first then go back and modify the post by adding the picture, the pictures loads faster.

Edited by Gldank

Hello,

The medal is an unofficial Knight in the Order of Leopold II, just because of the crossed swords mounted on the medal.

Some medal manufacturers thought they could create a military version of the Leopold II orders, in analogy of the Leopoldorder military division.

That model was not accepted by law, and therefore not allowed.

The medal is pre 1952, since it is unilingual French, so it can perfectly match the gold-striped ribbon, which is for civilian war merits during WordWar I.

However, the combination of the ribbon with the medal is NOT possible : the crossed swords mentioning the military division, while the gold striped ribbon mentions a civilian division.

Another fault is the palm: a palm was given for war acts in the military division, so it does not match the ribbon, AND, as we know the ribbon was for WorldWar I, the palm mounted on the ribbon is a "Leopold III" palm, which was given for war acts during WorldWar II and/or Korea.

so to be correct, the combination should be:

1) medal with 'normal' ribbon, that is without gold stripes and 'Albert I' or 'Leopold III' palms

2) medal without crossed swords, in combination with the gold striped ribbon

I hope one can understand my explication.

kind regards