News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Regimental numbers...

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me which regimental numbers relate to which battalions of the RWF during WW1. Not sure whether this topic has been covered before, seems to ring a bell, but I have been unable to find it, but having said that have been away for a while and am still getting my head round the new format, so please forgive me if you find it straight away.

Gordon.

Have found this for the TF battalions.....

4th Bn RWF, Territorial Force Assocation area Denbigh, were allocated number block 200001 - 240000

5th Bn, Denbigh, Flint, 240001 - 265000

6th Bn Anglesey, Caernarvon, 265001 - 290000

7th Bn Merioneth, Montgomery, 290001 - 315000

23rd Bn Denbigh, 315001 - 340000,

24th Bn, Denbigh, 340001 - 350000,

25th Bn, Montgomery 350001 - 360000.

Apart from the T.F. numbering you've just mentioned introduced in 1917, I don't think anything else about regimental numbering appears in the GMIC. However RWF numbering is covered quite extensively in this booklet;-

"Regimental and Army Numbers of the British Line Infantry Soldier from AD.1800 to 2008", written by David Langley and myself.

I believe it's now going into it's fourth reprint, but don't ask me where a copy can be obtained from as David handled all of the sales, since I now live and work in Saudi.

Apart from the T.F. numbering you've just mentioned introduced in 1917, I don't think anything else about regimental numbering appears in the GMIC. However RWF numbering is covered quite extensively in this booklet;-

"Regimental and Army Numbers of the British Line Infantry Soldier from AD.1800 to 2008", written by David Langley and myself.

I believe it's now going into it's fourth reprint, but don't ask me where a copy can be obtained from as David handled all of the sales, since I now live and work in Saudi.

Thanks for the tip Graham, will certainly try and track a copy down!!!

• 3 months later...