News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

here is my personal officer of the week :jumping: shure , as always , I want to give him his name back but I have a little problem with his uniform.... what uniform is that , where to search for him.... picture is taken in Berlin after 1906/07 I would say because he wears a DSWA medal... just to make no mistake - what is N°3 from last please...

thanks for watching

Heiko

Guest Rick Research

Norwegian Order of St. Olaf.

MORE peculiar-- am not sure what he is wearing in front of THAT annnnnd....

he appears to have started out with RAO4, then a Prussian XX (Can you tell if it is the XX Cross or XXV) incorrectly mounted ahead of a KO3! :speechless1::speechless:

Nobody leaps out at me with the EXCEPTIONALLY weird combination of foreign Orders (Norway, Turkey, Japan, Spain) ....

1907+.....

looking, looking

It IS a BERLIN photographer?

Guest Rick Research

Maybe.

It is very VERY important to know what the second award is-- XX or XXV? It appears to be backwards, but cannot make out the Roman numerals.

Unifoprm could be worn by Kriegsministerium, General-Adjutants, Generalstab, Flügel Adjutants, Pioniere, Eisenbhan, Luftschiffer, Flieger, Kraftfahr, Telegraph-- and I thinki also Sanitäts which is making this very difficult for me. :speechless1:

He appears to be an Oberst (or medical equivalent) but not knowing what YEAR to search further complicates things.

1907+.....

I've been looking for him in 1914 with no luck so far. :banger:

Guest Rick Research

Closest I can find seem to be Geheimer Hofrat types in the Kriegsministerium but no matches and I don't know if they had the fancy collar. :banger:

:jumping::jumping::jumping: I`ve got him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

after only 4000 and some pages this must be him.... please confirm that it is him... I am too tired to continue... :D

Oberstleutnant Stechow - commander of the Garde-Pionier-Bataillon Berlin !!!!

In 1907 with RAO4 , DA25 , WF3a , JZ5 , NO3a , SMV2 and TO4 !!!! The CO3 must have been the retirement present because in 1908 he is not listed anymore....

Please confirm that he is my man....

Heiko

Edited by HeikoGrusdat

Guest Rick Research

THAT is why we haven't found him in 1914! "Died" between Rank Lists of 1907 and 1908.

Hang on a few minutes, buddy-- will be back with his entry from the Garde Pionier Offizere Stammliste. :cheers:

PS Isn't research "fun?" :catjava:

Guest Rick Research

1907 Prussian and Württemberg Rank List does not show the campaign medals or Wilhlem I Jubilee brooch. :banger: Everything else matches, if that is an XXV incorrectly in second place:

:beer:

Unfortunately the Garde Pionier Stammliste of 1910 simply lists dates and NO awards :banger: but here's his first name, and birth and death data--

So if somebody with the Ordensliste Supplements of 1905+ can confirm that KO3 and its award date prior to his death, that gives us the time limits to date the photo, 1907-08.

Because he was dead before the classic Orders Almanac of 1908/09, that was another source denied us by his "inconvenient" demise.

Still, it looks "easy" AFTERWARDS, doesn't it?

And how many of us have spent HOW many hours getting to the answer? :whistle:

Guest Rick Research

Steels were often not listed and I'm sure both the China and Africa were steel, since he had no colonial service. This is another indicator of how many "jigsaw puzzle" pieces of CLUES have to be fitted together to come up with an "easy" ID.

I've checked the 3 volume set on German Army commanders 1815-1939 (where he is listed as "Albert") and found EXACT birth ((24 September 1859) and death (29 March 1908) dates. He commanded Garde Pionier Bataillon from 18 October 1903 right up to his death at age 48.

Why was this one SO difficult?

Draw closer, chirrun...

I have said this before but it bears repeating:

Half a dozen of us on two continents have been working for YEARS on

1914-1918.

That work will likely never be completed in OUR lifetimes. :Cat-Scratch::speechless1:

The scale of the labors required to work BACKWARDS from 1914 to pick out officers like Stechow would daunt even US. :unsure: :whistle: