News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

It is some time now, when those bars was posted up here and also when Paul C did his great threat about the imperial Germany groups - Researching German pre-1945 medalbars (cheers.gif ). Because those bars are my small collection centre pieces, I would like to be sure is any of them trackable or is there possible to ID the owner(s) unit(s), where the officer served.

Because my old threat is messy and pictures are pre-Epson age.... I did scans again and I post them up here.

Here we go...

Guest Rick Research

I'd say #s 1,2, and 8-- but none of them are "there" yet. What you have are the sorts of people (1 and 2) who were Staff officers... and we do not have enough Rolls to determine who had Austro-Hungarian decorations, steel colonial medals etc to come up with definitive answers for officers whose careers ENDED with 1918. They were "invisible" with none of this in 1914, and they are "invisible" AFTER 1918.

The Saxon combination in #8 should certainly prove uniquely identifiable, but we are all "Prussian/Navy/Bavarian/Mecklenburg." There ar no Research Cyborgs working on Saxony.

Some day.

Some day.

The advances we have made in the last 5 years are already greater than the previous 85. But there are still too few of us doing too much hard labour in the research mines.

Ask again in 5 years when Thor can type. :cool: :beer:

Thank you Paul and Rick!cheers.gif

I was thinking myself as well that 1 and 2 would be possible.

No. 3.... hard one because lack of orders. Maybe with this one is more chances with the old pictures to see it on wear? Oh, thats probably too much to hope!

No. 4a and 4b are the group. Some Navy officer with very interesting career like I understand.

No. 5 must be Navy as well.

No. 6 I think it is VERY interesting combination but is there any sources for that available in future?

No. 7 I must say I was thinking that this one is little pit too simpleunsure.gif . Oh meangry.gif

No. 8 I LOVE this bar and I really hope that there is name behind one happy day!

No. 9 I had more good feelings about this. Like Rick said before as well that its sad that it's missing devices. Third ribbon looks like Crown order.

No. 10 So, just one of the many unnamed ones? Sad.

Guest Rick Research

"So, just one of the many unnamed ones? Sad"

Given these limitations--

MUST BE

1) a combination of pre-WW1 awards which we can find only by hunting through THOUSANDS of pages AND which is unique;

2) a combination of unique WW1 awards from the Award Rolls which the Research Cyborg Collective™©® has and has finished transcribing;

3) career Reichwehr officers with unique awards combination; AND

4) bearing in mind that 80% are going to be No First Names Prussians :banger: it is more often than not the case that we cannot "match up" the plethora of Müllers and Schmidts because that niftily distinctive pre-1914 combination in Peacetime Unit X does NOT necessarily mean we can tell it is the SAME Müller/Schmidt with an award in Wartime Unit Z. Uniquely identifiable officers' names (or lack thereof-- which is why half of the Collective is working on Prussian officers themselves rather than awards) are as important to "sorting" as award combinations. "Von Arnim" doesn't do any good if there are a dozen Leutnants of that name-- et cetera.

It is virtually miraculous that we CAN do ANY at ALL. :catjava:

Most combinations will have been shared by many officers, after all. UNIQUE = ONE out of HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF OFFICERS. Those are "house odds" difficult to beat! :whistle: