News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Who knows these 2 officers in China from the face?

Hello all,

anybody here who knows these 2 officers from the face? Nothing written on the reverse , all I can say is that the two pictures were made in China maybe between 1901-5 . The officer with the Pickelhaube wears a chinese double dragon around his neck !!!

Any help is very welcome!!!

thank you

Heiko

N°1 :

Guest Rick Research

No name! :banger: No date! :banger: Can't see rank! :banger:

News to me that the See Bataillon wore "Expedition" Pickelhaube when they had their own perfectly good shakos.

Guest Rick Research

Nope. Standard straight legged trousers of the period, buttoned under the shoe to prevent "rising." I'm not even sure there ARE "two" marines-- might be the same fellow at different angles and the sepia/black and white makes them look different.

Are any marked with the photographer's address?

Guest Rick Research

Heiko--

Exceptionally nice portrait of the later St. Henry-Knight (shell splinter in the head winning it) Richard Erich Mater (1876-19??) who got his "CDIII3" in 1909 (gazetted 19 June) while a Hauptmann with the East Asian Detachment 1907-09. :cheers:

Shall I reveal the Magic Clue? :whistle::unsure:

WURZEN photographer = Saxon Inf Rgts 139 and 179. Chinese awards =

... Mater. :ninja:

Unfortunately there are no writings , photographer studios or even anything on the reverse....

but

I don`t think it is the same man... completely different eyes.... one like a good grandfather and one like a cool manager :whistle:

ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM ........ Rick are you shure about Mr.Mater ??? I am just asking because on the reverse of my picture is written "Karl Schubert , Hauptmann , fiel in der Champagne 1915" ... and the writing is original old.....

Guest Rick Research

Yup, him too--

Karl Leberecht Fürchtegott Schubert killed in action 28 September 1915 "an der Giesler Höhe" with KS RIR 106.

CDIII3 gazetted 19 June 1909--

missed him-- he was "hiding" in IR 133 (Zwickau) in the 1911 Saxon Rank List so I missed him. TWO guys from the SAME Saxon regiment with Chinese awards...

:speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

:cheers: