News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sofia 100 Years the Capital of Bulgaria

One of the nicer looking medals of the Peoples' Republic of Bulgaria, this medal was given, beginning April 2nd, 1979, to Bulgarian citizens,organizations and foreigners who contributed to, or fostered good relations with, the city of Sofia. The medal pictured is the first variation; in 1982 the type on the reverse of the medal was changed, removing reference to the anniversary, allowing the medal to continue to be given for acts benefiting the city.

The medal was presented in a gold-coloured leatherette case, the top of which is shown here:

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

I wonder what numbers of these were awarded? A good number of Senior Comrades From Sofia partial groups have turned up in thsi section-- but this is the ONLY one of these so far.

:cheers:

Rick,

I have no idea how many were awarded... I do know that this was also given to foreigners. Also, there's every chance that this is "NOS" (new old stock) as it did not come with a document. I would say that about 90% of my Bulgarian collection falls under this category. I wouldn't say this award is particularly rare, either, since there are several on the auction site now- I got this for about $40, but they usually run about $60. As for a reason this is the first that has been posted, I would imagine most folks collect Bulgarian military awards rather than civil awards and, therefore, haven't sought to own one of these.

• 3 months later...