News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Leather Jacket Question

Hello, I recently purchased this jacket, but I'm curious about the color. I've seen this style in pale blue and black, but is this darker grey shade also correct? I haven't seen a period color photo showing the jacket in this shade and it's difficult to be certain in black and white. Thank you

Hello ,

Hard to say what the exact color is from this one picture . If The color is more green grey rather than grey green I would say this is a Reproduction jacket made by the German company named Janke . I owned one of these reproduction jackets at one time and they looked like the originals but the color was that green grey color and stilled felt and smelled like new . After 70 years leather should not still smell like new . If I can find a picture of my Janke reproduction jacket I will try and post them .

Watch out for any clothing with a maker tag that has the word " baujahr " and a date , this is incorrect German for clothing ,a car or building has a build year but not clothing ! In German you never use the term " baujahr " when speaking about a shirt or pants .

Also look for buttons that have been replaced or all have been resewn back on . A fresh new jacket with all its buttons resewn on would tell me that someone has changed the buttons to look more correct .

A missing maker label may also mean that someone has removed it to hide the fact that it did say " baujahr " .

Best Regards ,

Joe

Thank you joetauchretter - I likewise suspect reproduction. The jacket does does look more green grey and although it is in fantastic condition, the tag is mysteriously damaged (unreadiable). If you can find your Janke reproduction picture - I'd love to see it.

Hello ,

I would question any leather that still feels and smells new after 70 years .

The Reproduction leathers that I owned many years ago was a dark green gray , but that may have changed in order to deceive someone . Many reproductions are just as good or better than the originals .

I will try and dig through my picture collection , but these pictures are so old that they where stored on floppy discs and not on a CD ! I have many , many shoe boxes of old floppy discs to sort through !

I would suspect any leather jacket or pants that look so new but the tag is missing or badly damaged .

Best Regards ,

Joe