News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Probably nothing official but what medal is that?

Noor

Hi,

I picked up this medal today and can`t find any info about that. As far I can understand it is something unofficial and nothing interesting but just in case... can someone ID this piece of history?

The Association for the Patronage of Orphans of Both Sexes was founded by Imperial Decree on 7.8.1867 (by the Emperor Napoleon III), as the legend on the obverse says. This medal was presented to Fernande Fanton in 1911. Monsieur Fanton had clearly assisted the association in some way that merited this medal. It is official in that it is a medal awarded by a body set up by order of the Emperor and might have been worn on a ribbon around the recipient's neck just after the award but in general, such medals were presented in cases and thereafter treated as non-portable awards, usually residing in glazed cabinets or frames in recipients' offices or homes.

There is a very active collecting scene focusing on the many types of medals of this general type here in France.

Hope this helps. Hope to meet you on one of my regular sojourns there in my home town.

PK