News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 EK1 With Clamshell Screwback

Hello

I've just received this 1914 EK1 screwback. Three piece construction, magnetic cored. It is slightly vaulted and measures 43.42 high x 43.35mm wide. Sorry the photos aren't the best, but the daylight here in the UK isn't brillant at present.

As usual, any comments or observations welcomed.

Thanks.

Edited by DavidM

Seems to be a fairly classic 3rd Reich era example - someone else here will probably be able to tell us who made it - that could have been lightly vaulted by its owner. I have had real vaulted 1914 EK1 with LDO hallmarks and they are as vaulted as their 1914-1920 counterparts. It is a nice cross and a very good catch as screwback WW1 EK1 from the WW2 era are not so common.

PK

Hi David

Nice cross, looks good to me. There has been some debate over the clamshell plates with no one really knowing which is genuine and which is a copy but, IMHO I believe yours to be the real deal. The one factor that the majority, if not all, of the original types seem to share is the small "tit" on the reverse and the sharp/defined edge on the inside circumference. Yours has it all. :cheers:

Chris

Hello

Many thanks for the comments, much appreciated :beer:

I have just compared this one to two other vaulted 1914 EKs that I have (both are from the 1914/WW1 era), and I think I was a bit misleading with the term 'lightly vaulted'. Side by side with the two others it is as vaulted as they are, and I should have described it simply as vaulted. My fault for not comparing that first.

I have been told elsewhere that this style of EK (based, I believe, on the frame and core) is thought to be by Deumer and made sometime in the 1930's.

In the hand it looks much better than in these photos, (if I can I'll get a couple of better shots and post them), and I'm glad that you like it - as indeed I do.

Edited by DavidM