News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Meet Major & Quarter-Master F. H. Osborne

Dear forumites,

Usually I am known for collecting German medal bars (Imperial and third Reich), but I couldn't resist the temptation to add to my modest collection this very interesting medal bar of Major and Quarter-Master F.H. Osborne.

• Military Cross, G.V.R., the reverse privately engraved, ‘Presented by H.M. King George V at Buckingham Palace, Dec. 9th 1916 to R.Q.M.S. F. H. Osborne, The Bedfordshire Regiment’;

• Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, 3 clasps, Cape Colony, Orange Free State, South Africa 1902 (6887 Pte. F. Osborne, Bedford Regt.);

• 1914 Star, with clasp (6887 C.Q.M. Sjt. F. Osborne, 2/Bedf. R.);

• British War and Victory Medals, M.I.D. oakleaf (6887 W.O. Cl. II F. Osborne, Bedf. R.);

• Defence Medal 1939-45;

• War Medal 1939-45;

• Jubilee Medal 1935;

• Coronation Medal 1937, privately engraved, ‘Maj. & Qr. Mr. F. H. Osborne, Bedfs. & Herts. R.’;

• Army L.S. & G.C. Medal, G.V.R. (6887 R.Q.M. Sjt. F. Osborne, M.C., Bedf. R.)

Claudio

His MC Citation from the LG 19.08.1916 (in case you have not got it)

J6887 R.Q.M.S. Frederick Osborne, Bed. R.

For conspicuous and consistent gallantry

. .and good work throughout the campaign,

notably when he went in advance of the

Brigade ration carriers under very heavy

fire, and saved many casualties by his skilful

direction.

• 9 months later...

Wow! That's quite a coincidence... please feel free to comment or give interesting info on your uncle, if you can and want to! :cheers:

Well here I am ...

Frederick was born in 1882 in Bedford. His Mother Jane died when he was 3 and he was put in the workhouse with his Father Henry, who died when Frederick was 12.

He joined the Army in 1899. So it is all the more amazing that he became a Major from his lowly start in life.

His military career was pretty much covered above.

After arriving in Bexhill-on-Sea, my birthplace. He became a welfare officer for the British Legion, and became very well known in the town.

He nursed his 1st wife for some years, and after she died which I believe was around 1949, he met met my Aunt Dorothy in early 1950's, they married in 1952.

I remember him very well, as being a true 'gentle' man, and was a fantastic baker of scones and fruit cake !!!

He died in 1961 age 78. My Aunt died last year 2009 age 98. She was around 28 years younger than him.

Although they didn't have a long marriage it was very happy, and I remember many very happy family times in the garden playing croquet and tennis.

My Aunt sold his medals after he died and the proceeds were given to Dr Barnados homes in his memory.

They were originally in a frame at the side of the fireplace at her home and thats where I rememeber them being.

Oh to own those medals would be incredible ...but would have to win the lottery first!!!!... still it is lovely to see them on this site and know he is remembered, for his bravery and military life.

I have a couple of photos of him in uniform in his younger days ...will get them scanned and added to the site.

Suzy Bolton

Hi Suzy!

Thank you very much for giving information about your uncle's character... :beer: it's so nice to put a story and especially a human profil to a bunch of metal medals and pieces of ribbons! It makes me very happy to know that the bar I have in my collection belonged once to a gentleman and good officer.

Ciao,

Claudio

Hi Claudio,

I also lived in Umbria Italy for about 3 years until 2005, I am assuming you are Italian.. what a bonus the medals are owned by an Italian, just adored my time there and the people!!

Suzy

Hi Suzy,

I am glad that you had a nice time in Italy. It's beautiful country full of history, culture and of course great food... btw I am not Italian. I do speak Italian but I am Swiss, originally from Lugano ;-) Italian is an official language in Switzerland.

Ciao,

Claudio