News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

the ww1 commemorative medal

Besides the atypical brooch attachment, you'll notice the details are very defined and the designer's name and E.D.B. are missing.

Anyone else have one of these?

Tim

Hello Tiim,

While I don't have one of these varieties in my collection I recall seeing an illustration of just such a French produced Belgian war commemorative without the makers marks. It was listed in an M. Delande, of Paris catalogue of 1923 as well as another of 1930. When I have time I will re-check these references and provide an update.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tim,

I have had a chance to peruse some of my French medal catalogues and references from the 1920s and 1930s.

Listed in M.Delande's July 1923 catalogue, page 7 is the following entry: 'Modèle Officiel Belgique avec ruban ordonnance 36mm, 5 francs' so they did at least produce the Belgian vic as well as a number of other Belgian great war medals.

In addition to this reference, in the marvellous 1934 Delande volume 'Décorations France Et Colonies, Croix Et Médailles De La Guerre 1914-1918 Des Pays Alliés, there is such an illustration matching the example you have posted, sans makers marks (page 95).

The pictures in this 1934 volume are quite superb. There has been a German 2001 re-published version of this reference but it is produced on poor quality grainy paper which degrades the illustration quality. If you can find an original copy I would recommend it to all.

I have a few other M.Delande produced pieces that are also illustrated in the 1934 volume and the pieces are exactly the same as the illustrations.

Hope this is of assistance.

Regards,

Rob

post-7101-005944700 1288317778_thumb.jpg