News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

H Jewitt Boy 1 RN

Hi Chaps

I purchased this lone victory medal to Boy 1st class H Jewitt from eBay :whistle: earlier this year.

I collect medals to Jewitt, this being a family name, and have a few great singles and groups.

This medal intrigued me as it came with an original photo of H Jewitt in uniform.

Please see the photos below -

Edited by FrontlineAntiques

I love :love: this little medal.

Its dirty, bashed and looks like it may have lost an argument with a hammer at some time. It cost a fortune and took over a month to arrive. But its been very well loved, and the photo shows some family resemblance to myself and my old dad. :speechless1:

It looks from its wear that it has been worn mounted as a group at some time. I would love to know his details.

I have never given researching medals much effort and i feel a little lost.... :speechless:

So far i think that he is Harry Jewitt of Hallam, Sheffield. Born 29 November 1901. This would make him 12 at the outbreak of the war. He is the only H Jewitt mentioned in the National archives in the naval ratings.

For some reason i cannot view his records online :banger::banger:

He survived the war, but this is all i know.

Could any of you chaps offer any info on young Master Jewitt, or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Dan

Edited by FrontlineAntiques

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=7103309&queryType=1&resultcount=13

You have to pay National Archives their 3.50 and then you can download the .pdf file.

Thanks for the fast response Michael

For some reason the National Archives dont like my bank cards, so this is as far as i have got :banger:

Cheers

Dan

A few in the 1901 Census:

Name: Harry Jewitt

Birth: abt 1900 - Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England

Residence: 1901 - Grimsby, Great Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England

Birth: abt 1900 - York, Yorkshire, England

Residence: 1901 - York, Yorkshire, England

Birth: abt 1898 - Darrington, Yorkshire, England

Residence: 1901 - Darrington, Darrington, Yorkshire, England

Birth Index:

Birth: Sep 1900 - Grimsby, Humberside, Lincolnshire

Birth: Jun 1899 - York, Yorkshire - East Riding, Yorkshire - North Riding, North Yorkshire, Yorkshire - West Riding

Birth: Dec 1901 - Ecclesall Bierlow, Derbyshire, Yorkshire - West Riding

I forgot to say - great medal, a beaten up, common little medal but look what it represents, & with a photo.

One of my favourites in my collection is a battered VM to a 50-odd years old labourer who lied about his age & joined a RE Tramway Company, & was killed at Ypres in 1917. Cost me all of 50p, I think.

Gone are the days when "real collectors" sneered at single VMs & the like.

I forgot to say - great medal, a beaten up, common little medal but look what it represents, & with a photo.

One of my favourites in my collection is a battered VM to a 50-odd years old labourer who lied about his age & joined a RE Tramway Company, & was killed at Ypres in 1917. Cost me all of 50p, I think.

Gone are the days when "real collectors" sneered at single VMs & the like.

Too true Leigh! I have some great single BWM and VMs and i tend to prefer them rough around the edges! :speechless:

Thanks for all the info, i will chase it up and post my findings :cheers:

Dan

Im having a somewhat difficult time reading some of the details within his records.

There are several interesting parts that i just cannot decipher-

What were his distinguishing marks? Tattoo to shoulder cant make out much more.

Something about a superior officer.....

And sheffield police....?

:banger::banger::banger:

Can anyone help?

Many thanks again, Dan :beer: