News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nice picture of a german ww1 U-boat officer with EK2 , EK1 and the U-boat badge - but the main thing is that there is a name on the reverse but I can`t find anything about this man on the net...

I read " Meyer zu Beutrup " but I have tried some variations of the name but - nothing.... maybe someone has this or a similar name in his archive and can give me the correct name and some info of this man.

thanks for all help

Heiko

Guest Rick Research

Unusual style jacket with shoulder boards rather than rank stripes.

Note the plushy collar, not made of uniform cloth? :catjava:

This is Marine-Ingenieur (18.07.18)Erich Meyer zu Bentrup, born 8 October 1891, navy October 1911 to 21 November 1919.

Served on SMS Thüringen to April 1916, U-Boat School to August 1916 then

UB 30 (Kurland Flotille) to December 1916,

UC 27 (Mittelmeer Flotille) to October 1917, and

U 46 (III. Flotille) to end of the war as Leading Engineer.

This suggests what the rate of casualties was, since he was only a candidate-Deck Officer for almost 2 years.

His 1938 Marine Ingenieure Verband directory listing only shows his residence at Bleichstraße 71, Bielefeld with no civil occupation and as "LtaD" BUT

quite unusually, he also belonged to the Marine Offiziere Verband (Mitglied Nr. 383 !!!) which normally shunned ex-engineers. Why? Despite the social discrimination-- for business... :whistle:

In all the directories I have from 1928 to 1939 he was (right through the Depression)

Mitinhaber der Firma Friedrich Rohde, Bielefeld-- Glasdachfabrik und Zentralheizungsbau.

I lose him after 1939, when he lived at Herforderstraße 56 (Fernsprech 298 if you want to try calling him).

That is the cheapest model naval sword with "clam" guard. I've never seen one.

tuuuuuuuuut...........tuuuuuuuuuuuuut...........tuuuuuuuuuuuuuut............. Kein Anschluss unter dieser Nummer...........

Thank you very much for his telephone number and the photos of his wife you sent me via email :whistle::D

No , seriously.......... as always a great and really fast job - you really can wear your new honour member colour with proud :beer: (is it "Flieder" ?)

- you really can wear your new honour member colour with proud :beer: (is it "Flieder" ?)

I think its a palm branch

"Palmam qui meruit ferat"

Very fitting indeed!

Edited by Naxos

he also belonged to the Marine Offiziere Verband (Mitglied Nr. 383 !!!) which normally shunned ex-engineers. Why? Despite the social discrimination-- for business... :whistle:

I would just like to back up what Rick said here. We did not cover the Navy in our recent book and have been researching that a bit. The naval officer corps was very very very stratified. It defies logic and is purely only social discrimination that to me makes little sense, but it certainly was present. Engineers was a subcategory that really took it on the chin.