News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Desert Rats Cromwel Tank

Gentlemen, Spent a very pleaseant weeked in Norfolk, England recently and had the opportunity to visit the 7th Armoured Division 'Desert Rats' Memorial located in Thetford Forest. This takes the form of restored Cromwell tank mounted on a plinth.

Behind this Memorial there is a two mile marked walk around the perimeter of the old camp showing the location of various buildings and points of interest. If you are in the area its well worth a visit, it' also only a short drive from RAF Lakenheath where I spent a few hours watching the F16's of the US Fighter wing based there taking off.

The Forest is still used as an Army training ground and I'm sure many of us have memories of our time there. (happy or otherwise!) :cheers:

Spent many an unhappy hour running around there doing army basic training, NCO's cadre etc. Wife was staying there a couple of months ago at "The Bell", which I remember route-marching past in my youth. "Dad's Army" was filmed there. Always a little haunting, even when totally shagged out & running around playing fire & movement to come across empty little old cottages overgrown in the woods, little communities swallowed up & extinguished by the needs of wartime training.

Coldstream - Hi. Interesting post - good shots of the Cromwells. Have you been to the Museum at Bovington in Dorset - fantastic collection of armoured vehicles. I posted - under medals - a few weeks back a set on a chap from the Scinde Horse. In the background of one photo I wondered if they were Cromwells - perhaps you could have a look and see what you think ? Mervyn