News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

That indicates rank, and varied by the imperial state the NCO was serving in.

A small button with no NCO braid indicated a Gefreiter, NCO collar braid with no button was an Unteroffizier (I use the generic ranks, which varied by branch of service), braid with a button like your young fellow was a Sergeant (the German term) OR a Vizefeldwebel.

No way to distinguish those two ranks without having headgear or a sidearm knot since the former wore enlisted patterns while the latter wore officer patterns (and carried a sword rather than wore a bayonet) BUT

your man is wearing a BMVK2X which was given by rank, and to Vizefeldwebels up, not Sergeanten, so that's what he was.

A Feldwebel would have had an additional row of NCO braid above his cuff, but otherwise been identically kitted out to a Vizefeldwebel. Occasionally wartime Feldwebels wore gigantic triple chevrons (from pre-war fatigue uniforms) on their left upper arm instead of two rows of cuff braid.

• 2 weeks later...

Kgl. Bayer. 5. Infanterie-Regiment Großherzog Ernst Ludwig von Hessen, 4th Royal Bavarian Division.

A quick Google search ... During World War I, the Division served on the Western Front. It fought in the Battle of the Frontiers against French forces in the early stages, and then participated in the Race to the Sea, fighting along the Somme and in Flanders, including the First Battle of Ypres.

It remained in the trenchlines in Flanders and the Artois, and fought in the Second Battle of Artois and the Battle of Loos in 1915. In 1916, the Division fought in the Battle of the Somme. In 1917, the division fought in Flanders, including in the Battle of Messines and the Battle of Passchendaele. For most of 1918, the Division remained in Flanders, fighting at Armentières, Kemmel, Hébuterne, and Monchy-Bapaume.

Late in the year, the Division went to the Champagne region, where it faced the Allied Meuse - Argonne Offensive. After more fighting along the Aisne and the Aire, the division was withdrawn from the line, and spent the last week of the war on border defense in southern Bavaria and Tyrol. Allied intelligence rated the Division as first class and of the highest quality.

One of mine:

3532653920_a92a168da3_b.jpg