News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is the last ribbon something Hessian?

My thoughts on the first 4 ribbons are Red Eagle 4th class, 25 year LS, DSWA (probably non-combattant) and of course Centenary...but the last one has me miffed. I'd appreciate any other opinions!

cheers

Jason

Guest Rick Research

Yup, Hessian Philipp. While we can never be sure of what, exactly, "happened" to that bar

did some moron strip it 3 weeks ago or

did the original wearer thriftily remove the awards when he had a new bar made with his Great War awards?

I think this is in perfect enough condition to make seeking out correct replacement awards (probably an HP3b) that would simply look nice for display slipped into the ribbons an interesting long term task.

You're looking for a Major, possibly an Oberstleutnant, when the war started.

The Red Eagle/Philipp pair isn't distinctive enough to identify-- probably about 50 to 60 "suspects," BUT if and when a Steel SWA list becomes available, THAT would dramatically reduce possible original wearers.

Thanks Christian and Rick.

I remember years ago a collector friend here had a non-combattants bar (pretty much destroyed) with a Philip on it, and even back then Rick mentioned the difficulty in locating one! Yep, a definite long-term project for this one.

all the best

Jason

• 5 months later...

Well here it is again, I've mocked up the bar with 4 awards, the 25 year and DSWA are staying put, the RAO and Centenary are simply "borrowed" from other bars for the picture - dont worry guys, no other medal bars were harmed in the making of this piece! :). So still on the hunt for an RAO, Centenary (easy!) and the Philip Order....

Jas