News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

United States Uniforms

Very interesting photo and documented uniform/medals group to one man. The uniforms are: complete U.S. Army Model 1902 enlisted dress blues (Sergeant First Class Electrican) 1908; complete U.S. Army Air Service Reserve Major 1918-1920; Complete U.S. Army Air Corp Master Sergeant 1925. George

Nice shots! The story behind those last three must be interesting - Private - Major - Sergeant. Was he really good or ...? laugh.gif

2014.gifYes Peter, a very interesting career, and life. Born in Canada in 1880. Enlisted in U.S. Signal Corp 14 April 1898 for three years. Sent to the Philippines, then China 1900, back to the Philippines. Back to the States. Discharged from Company E Signal Corp on Apr 13 1907 as a Sergeant 1st Class electrican with 9 years service. Reenlisted 28 Sep 1913 to 20 Sep 1917 at Ft. Omaha, NE where the first Army dirigible was operated for training, it was also a weatherman training facility. 1905: Ft. Omaha was a school for NCO's, training them in electricity and telegraphy. It was also a weather station. In 1908: Ft. Omaha became the center for Army Ballooning: free balloons, kite balloons and motorized airships. The Army abandoned that activity in 1913 and Ft. Omaha reverted back to a weather station. In 1917 the Army Air Service despertly needed weathermen to train others in the States and Franch. He appears to have been discharged on 20 Sep 1917 at North Island (San Diego Air Service Training Facility) to accept a commission as a Captain Signal Corp Reserve. Army Orders 6 Sep 1918 lists his promotion to Major Air Service Reserve. 19 Nov 1920 he reverts to Master Sergeant in the Air Service. Serves until 9 June 1925, when he retires. Sorry for the multiple types, copy and paste doesn't work real well here. He is also in this photograph. Can you find him? 2014.gif Captain George Albert jumping.gif

Here is a documented with photos medal/uniform group to:

Chief Commissary Steward Raymond E. Griffith (served 1945 to 1963) (Mounted medal group of 5):

• Navy Good Conduct with Silver Star (6th award) Engraved: “Raymond E. Griffith”
    • American Campaign Medal
    • World War II Victory Medal
    • National Defense Medal with Bronze Star
    • Antarctic Service Medal with Bronze “Winter Over” Bar (note: Should be Gold Bar, for second award)

I received all this with paperwork from the family. His brother David found out I collected uniforms and gave it all to me free.

Here is a WW1 enlistman's complete uniform with extras. He was a Pvt. in the 144th Field Artillery (Grizzles) 40th Division. The dry cleaners lost a button, I will have to replace (large vegitable type). The boots came from the family, they are hob nailed, but very small? They were made by Montgomery Wards. I also need to replace the laces. Served in France. Sorry for the quality of the photo. What does not show is the Canteen with carrier, and enlisted spurs.

rolleyes.gif

George Albert

Edited by army historian