News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello and some red cross medals

Kryptos

Nice! I like these since they are not too hard to find with boxes, and often in really good condition like yours! And like most Japanese Red Cross medals, you don't need a second mortgage to buy one..... rolleyes.gif

I'm wondering if there was a corresponding certificate for these particular medals....???

• 1 month later...

Here's a neat pic. of a Red Cross worker - I can't tell what she's wearing under the Scared Crown, maybe Sino-Japanese war medal or some commemorative? Cool though, looks like she's got a Boxer Rebellion and a Russo-Japan War medal in addition to her Red Cross Special Membership medal. I really like seeing pictures of people actually wearing the medals!

RedCrossNurse.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this recently, in fair condition. Victim of a smoker - thing stinks of tobacco through and through. :banger: Oh well, I guess people don't really think about these things. I've got it in a small, sealed container with finely powdered activated carbon - it does seem to be reducing the odor slowly. Unfortunately, there is some light staining from the tobacco residue. I've been able to clean it up a bit, looks better than it did.

Yeah, most people seem to go the baking soda route from my limited reading on stench removal. I started with that and might go back to it depending on how the activated carbon does. I think the carbon might be a bit more effective, and I had ready access to it, so I figured what the heck! I'll post back later on the efficacy of either/or.....

• 2 weeks later...

The carbon seemed to do nicely! Just unpacked it over the weekend from the "Glad"ware container with the carbon and the odor is pretty much gone! You can still detect a hint of "something" but not like before - geez, when I got this thing, a few whiffs would have put you in danger of getting lung cancer! speechless.gifAnyway, I will continue to monitor it, but I've added it to the collection which is packed into an archival storage box that has layers of zeolite and carbon that will hopefully continue to collect any residual from within.