News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nassau Hauptmann Maximilian Freiherr von Dungern circa 1866?

Guest Rick Research

This Carte de Visite, taken by a Frankfurt am Main photographer and part of the Eduard Freiherr von Boos-Waldeck album, is identified in much later handwriting as "Baron Dungern."

IF that is correct-- and the English wife who seems to have labelled most of the visiting cards in this album was wrong more often than not :(--

then this was presumably

Maximilian, in 1861 Unterlieutenant in 2nd Bn/2nd Inf Rgt (Garrison of Wiesbaden)—

Died 1894 as Luxemburg Grand Ducal Finanzkammerpräsident. Son of Nassau Grand Ducal Staatsminister Emil Freiherr von Dungern (d. 1862) and grandson of Nassau Wirkl. Geheimer Rat und Oberstallmeister Friedrich Freiherr von Dungern who died in 1858 at age 93.

Maximilian married Klara Freiin von Vincke (alive 1921 in Wiesbaden) and they had children Dr.jur. Otto, Gisbert (killed in action 1914 as Oberlt dR), Luise Frau Baronin von Malchus, Fritz, and Marie. All 3 sons served in 3. Garde Ulanen Rgt.

The Austrian type uniform here was introduced in Nassau 1862-63. I don’t know whether the aiguillette indicates an Adjutant or was standard “full dress” for all officers. The original is, like all the other visiting cards in this album, much faded sepia.

Nassau Staats- und- Adreß-Handbuch 1861

Heldengedenkmappe 1921

Eduard Freiherr von Boos-Waldeck Carte de Visite Album 1860s

Nassau Staats- und- Adreß-Handbuch 1861

Heldengedenkmappe 1921

Eduard Freiherr von Boos-Waldeck Carte de Visite Album 1860s

Hi Rick

did you find the Staats and Adresshandbuch für Nassau 1861 online, or do you own it privately? If online, could you please post a link?

Thanks

regards

David

Rick,

I think this is Hptm. (3 stars on the collar indicate Hptm.) and Flügeladjutant (aiguillette)

Otto Frhr. von Dungern (*Wiesbaden 01.06.1831 †Freiburg 01.03.1911, Freiherr auf Henriettenthal.)

Gotha Freiherr Handbuch 1913

Andy

Edited by arb

Guest Rick Research

I have the 1856 and 1861 editions here, David. Andy's got the 1864. I am an old paperwork not an online-googley guy. So I can look anybody up in either of those 2 years for you.

Andy-- first of all :cheers: thanks very much. :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Where the heck did Otto COME from? He's not in the 1856 or 1861!!!!!!

That's a Nassau M1862 uniform (right? :unsure: ) so... how'd he make Hauptmann without appearing earlier as Unterlieutenant andOberlieutenant? :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

(I've got a Bavarian Hauptmann/Rittmeister Freiherr von Reiztenstein in there with even MORE Which-One-Of-'Em problemos....)

I have the 1856 and 1861 editions here, David. Andy's got the 1864. I am an old paperwork not an online-googley guy. So I can look anybody up in either of those 2 years for you.

Andy-- first of all :cheers: thanks very much. :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Where the heck did Otto COME from? He's not in the 1856 or 1861!!!!!!

That's a Nassau M1862 uniform (right? :unsure: ) so... how'd he make Hauptmann without appearing earlier as Unterlieutenant andOberlieutenant? :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

(I've got a Bavarian Hauptmann/Rittmeister Freiherr von Reiztenstein in there with even MORE Which-One-Of-'Em problemos....)

Well he could come from another countries service first....just like the other aide of the Duke, Ziemicke von Ziemiecin. I would be really interested in the listing of his ODM in both of your volumes, just like the ones for Friedrich von Bose, another aide to the Duke who also received the CHWO.

thanks and regard

David

Guest Rick Research

1861 Hieronymus von Ziemiecki (there is a cedilla under the 2nd e in his Family name like that in a ç but I cannot make that sort of letter e) Oberstlieutnenat, Flügeladjutant, Kammerherr, awards are listed in the following precedence:

Nassau 25 Years Service CRoss, Russian Order of Stanislaus 2nd Class with Crown, Swedish Sword Order-Commander, Saxon Albert Order-Commander, Hessian Philip the Generous-Commander with Swords, Luxemburg Oak Crown-Commander, Austrian Iron Crown 3rd Class, Austrian Leopold 3rd Class, Portugese Tower & Sword-Officer, Prussian Red Eagle 3rd, and Netherlands William 3rd Class.