News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Blockade Breaker in wear on Heer uniform?

I just received this photo and i admit that it a very unusual photo of the Blockade badge in wear.The recipient is wearing a Heer uniform,so IMO a very odd combination of uniform and award?

Can anyone identify the insignia on the sleeve?

Regards,Martin.

Guest Rick Research

Sleeve rank for Oberschütze, or Oberkanonier or whatever a "senior private" under the rank of Gefreiter was in his branch of service.

After a closer study of the photograph the badge appears to be of the unmarked tombak type i am posting below.You will notice from the close up of the badge that the wings of the eagle do not touch the outer circle of the badge,as is seen on most other BB badges.Because of this unusual feature,some beleive that this type of badge is a fake,although i have always beleived this one to be original?

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Very interesting shot Martin. Probably a member of the Merchant Navy when he was awarded the badge and later drafted into the Army at a point when the Army needed manpower more than the Navy.

Interesting variant of the badge too. Another example of those that are often put down as bad yet without any hard evidence just because its slightly different - but still has all the correct period fittings you'd expect on a good piece