News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Any assistance at all 1855 La Crimea Medal 14th foot West Yorkshir Regiment?

I have recenly acquired by way of fsmily passing down the 1855 Crimean War Medal labeled 1701 S.Jones 1 B 14 Ft.. I can only assume 1st batallion 14th foot which I understand to be West Yorksire Regiment.. It is an icredible honour for me to possess such and item over 150 years old.. and from my family whether there is any relation to S.JONES or not. I see many in museums and would love any help on finding and sharing information about S.JONES 1701.. This item has sparked an age old intrest in myself of history and the lives of those who have come and gone.. PICS WILL COME SOON

No INSIGHT?

Anyone else know of the 14th or of 1701 S. JONES ??

The 14th were posted to the West Indies, Canada, Malta and in 1855 the Regiment the served in the Crimean war. In 1876 the Prince of Wales, presented new Colours to the 1st Battalion and conferred on the 14th the honoured title of "The Prince of Wales's Own". 1858 saw a second battalion raised once more and took part in the Maori Wars of 1860-6 and the Second Anglo-Afghan War 1879-80.

WWI saw numerous battalions of The Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment) serving at Neuve-Chappelle, Loos, the Somme, Passchendaele, Ypres, Marne, Arras, Cambrai and Gallipoli. At its peak The West Yorkshire Regiment numbered 37 battalions, 66 Battle Honours were bestowed and four Victoria Crosses were awarded.

The best route is to find a researcher at the National Archives to search for service papers. These will give a lot of useful information, and should also confirm which clasps (if any) he qualified for on the British Crimea.

Armed with a full name and a birthdate, you can do genealogical research on the internet. You might even be able to establish a family connection.

According to http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/british_regiment/west_yorkshire.htm

There is an almost even split between no clasps and Sebastopol only.

Edited by Michael Johnson

Also to point out that the medal shown is the Turkish War Medal for the Crimea, not the British medal. If his Turkish medal survived then there is a good chance that the British medal is out there somewhere as well. Reuniting them would be quite a challange though.

Guest Darrell

Looks like all the 14th Foot was only entitled to the basic Crimea Medal (no clasps).

Your man shows up a couple of times ... at least showing entitlement to the medal. His first name appears to be Samuel :cheers:

Guest Darrell

I only see columns for Alma and Inkerman. There was probably a supplementary roll for Sebastopol. At least some of the 1/14th had a clasp. Several are listed here: http://www.old-merse...demilitary.html

Many of the rolls are too hard to read anything legible. This was what I could make out with 100% confidence.

Edited by Darrell

• 1 year later...

I think this needs more checking, as I think he got the Sebastopol bar - I have seen other groups to the 14th of Foot with the clasp. Anyway he did have the British Crimea Medal either with or without the clasp. Here is the begining of the roll for the 14th - note: no mention of the Sebastopol bar. Cheers Captain Albert

Edited by army historian