News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Naval Proficiency Badge

Paul L Murphy

This badge is described in Peterson but it is so rare that they only had a line drawing to illustrate it, no photo. So here is a photo of the obverse and reverse, together with a photo of the case. It is the 1st Class Engine Operation Proficiency Badge of the Imperial Japanese Navy. A very attractive and rare item and you saw it here first folks. It measures 45 x 37mm and weighs 26.5 grams. It is made from silver and copper is constructed from at least four parts since the central chrysanthemum, anchor, engine prop, and background are all seperate pieces braised and rivetted together. The quality of manufacture is very good, far better than the army badges from the same period.

:cheers:

Edited by Paul L Murphy

Hi Paul,

Very nice badge indeed. I am amazed at the workmanship that went into it.

Can you read the "unofficial" naming that was scratched into the reverse? To my way of thinking this is even more of a historic treasure with the recipient having written on the reverse.

Thanks for posting it.

Regards

Brian

I think the name is Futaka, it is hard to make out. Apart from this type, the 1st class badges have green enamel as part of the design. This is the only 1st class badge which does not. It is also one of the rarer badges, all the 1st class pieces are very hard to find. I will post some photos of other 1st class badges over the coming days.