News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2010 Silver Eagles Arrive Late

Usually, the United States Mint will begin production of the American Silver Eagle bullion coins bearing the following year's date in late November or early December. This allows the US Mint to begin accepting orders in December for delivery of the coins in early January. This system has allowed bullion and coin dealers to get a jump on the demand for newly dated coins.

This year, the 2010 dated American Silver Eagles will be arriving a bit later. The US Mint recently announced that they would begin taking orders from authorized purchasers on January 19, 2010.

This is the latest in a number of changes to normal procedures for United States Mint precious metals coin offerings that began in 2008. Back then the first of many sales suspensions was put into place first for Silver Eagles and later for Gold Eagles and Gold Buffalo coins. The suspensions were generally followed by availability of coins under a rationing program.

Eventually, the collector versions of the Gold and Silver Eagles were impacted when the US Mint began sourcing precious metals blanks exclusively to the production of bullion coins. The 2008 Proof Silver Eagle sold out very early in the year, never to return. The 2009 collectible Gold and Silver Eagle offerings were canceled.

The delay of 2010 Silver Eagle coins seems to indicate that the US Mint may be falling even further behind the curve on fulfilling public demand. As it stands, the silver bullion coins are fresh off of a recent suspension and reimplemented rationing program.

• 3 weeks later...

Usually, the United States Mint will begin production of the American Silver Eagle bullion coins bearing the following year's date in late November or early December. This allows the US Mint to begin accepting orders in December for delivery of the coins in early January. This system has allowed bullion and coin dealers to get a jump on the demand for newly dated coins.

This year, the 2010 dated American Silver Eagles will be arriving a bit later. The US Mint recently announced that they would begin taking orders from authorized purchasers on January 19, 2010.

This is the latest in a number of changes to normal procedures for United States Mint precious metals coin offerings that began in 2008. Back then the first of many sales suspensions was put into place first for Silver Eagles and later for Gold Eagles and Gold Buffalo coins. The suspensions were generally followed by availability of coins under a rationing program.

Eventually, the collector versions of the Gold and Silver Eagles were impacted when the US Mint began sourcing precious metals blanks exclusively to the production of bullion coins. The 2008 Proof Silver Eagle sold out very early in the year, never to return. The 2009 collectible Gold and Silver Eagle offerings were canceled.

The delay of 2010 Silver Eagle coins seems to indicate that the US Mint may be falling even further behind the curve on fulfilling public demand. As it stands, the silver bullion coins are fresh off of a recent suspension and reimplemented rationing program.

banger.gif Febuary tomorrow & still no sign of them in the UK, judging by ebay they seem to be available in the US, but the postage is ludicious!!!angry.gif

• 1 month later...

Stopped in at a local coin show today and picked up a couple 2010's, as well as 2009's that I didn't get around to last year. Price is around $21./ea for the UNC coins. Considering spot silver is fluctuating around $17./ounce, I didn't think that was too bad for a minted coin.

The dealer that I know stated he heard the mint was having some issues with the dies last couple of years and thinks that has added on the delay to get these out sooner.

Tim

• 3 months later...
    • 3 months later...
    • 4 months later...

Well, spot silver is hovering around $29. - $30./oz at the moment, so I figure the coins are going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $35. USD for the UNC examples. Haven't been to any shows yet this year but will post a follow-up once I know what is being asked around here.

Tim

Well, spot silver is hovering around $29. - $30./oz at the moment, so I figure the coins are going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $35. USD for the UNC examples. Haven't been to any shows yet this year but will post a follow-up once I know what is being asked around here.

Tim

Hi Tim, your looking at that in Pounds, this side of the pond, hence me holding off from buying one yet. Gordon.

Hi Gordon,

No, the price I quoted earlier was in USD, not Pounds but, I do see where that leaves you my friend! :P

I'm not sure we're going to see much drop in any prices though, as those selling them probably will not sell at a loss and only hold onto them. Wish they would discontinue the series at this point but they are too popular I'm afraid.

Tim :beer:

• 1 month later...