News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SOUTH AFRICAN MEDALLIONS

Do other Countries produce this multitude of Medallions ?

From top left : 1910 Aluminium disc, to commemorate the Union of South Africa ; 1936 intended for Edward 8th. Coronation ; the Natal Medallion for Edward 7 th's Coronation. Large one for Chiefs, Middle size for Mayors etc., small one (shown here) for hand-outs. Has the two running Wildebeeste. which are part of the arms of Natal.

From bottom left : 1935 silver Jubilee for George 5th. ; front and back of medallion to commemorate the 1947 Royal Visit ; 1961 Sth. Africa became a Republic ; 1937 Coronation of George 6 th..

I always think medallions tend to be overlooked in favour of medals ?

An interesting array, covering a period of 60 years. I believe that medallions like these were largely intended for handing out to schoolchildren on these patriotic occasions.

The Natal Coronation 02 was in 3 classes 51 mm to native chiefs, 29 mm, possibly local nobs and 21mm schoolchildren. The larege medal as well as being most beautiful is quite scarce.

All the best,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Here's a couple I have to add to this thread that were given out by the City of East London, which I believe is on the Indian Ocean coast of South Africa. The George VI Coronation medallion was shown above but I wanted to also show the reverse as well as the Queen Elizabeth Coronation issue.

The missing hanger on the Eliz.II would have probably been the same as on the GEO.VI issue considering the similarity between the two medallions.

Regards

Brian

I have never seen these two Brian - so good additions. As Arthur said - municipalities used to commission them to give to the school children. Needless to say - they never parted with them and it is only now as the older people 'pass-on' that the relatives get rid of them. East London was originally founded by the 1820 Settlers.