News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with handwriting please - name and unit of this high officer

Guest Rick Research

I have been away in the Research Mines.

He would have been identifiable simply from his awards. The inscription is actually what causes the problem...

He started the war commanding 76. Infanterie Brigade, moved to command of 65. Inf Brig 24.02.15, and was Commander of

wait for it

14. Infanterie Division

from 30 December 1915 until his death (of natural causes?) near St. Gobert on 16 September 1917.

He was not

EVER

that I could find, commander of 56. Inf Div as inscribed here!

Wegmann's 1815-1939 does NOT have him there.

????????????????????????

Rick,

just did a quick check in volume 9 of "Der Weltkrieg 1914-1918". In October 1915, Generalmajor v. Versen was standing in for the then sick Generalleutnant Leo Sontag, commander of 56. Division in the Champagne.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

Aha. The Wegmann Bible has failed us, but the Mobile Biological Entities of the Research Cyborg Collective™©® SEEK AND FIND! :jumping::cheers:

His tortured handwriting is quite oddly spaced. Not the usual left-handed stuff... either that or maybe arthritis?