News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ANTEDELUVIAN BUFFALOES

Hard to know where to post this set of Royal Antedeluvian Order of Buffaloes set of insignia. I know that they were loosely based on the Masons and seem to have also used similar insignia. Most of the larger badges are hallmarked silver - gilt.

Any help on the Ranks - and perhaps a guide to value - would be gratefully received.

(To enlarge - Ctrl and + to decrease - Ctrl and - )

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

The word I find strange in their title is - Antedeluvian. It literally means - 'after the flood' ?

Referring to Noah's flood that destroyed everything except those that were on the Ark.

My Latin is not good at all, but I believe it means BEFORE the flood, not after. They're trying to portray great antiquity. I consulted an on-line Latin dictionary and it says ante means before. I also connect it with the term for the old Southern plantation mansions, antebellum homes, which means "before the war."

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Referring to Noah's flood that destroyed everything except those that were on the Ark.

My Latin is not good at all, but I believe it means BEFORE the flood, not after. They're trying to portray great antiquity. I consulted an on-line Latin dictionary and it says ante means before. I also connect it with the term for the old Southern plantation mansions, antebellum homes, which means "before the war."

Of course you are correct, Mike. The first time I ran into this term was when reading about the antebellum houses that were built before and survived the Civil War.

I wonder if this lodge is like the Service Clubs here, such as the Lions Club etc. Or is it was more like the Independent Order of Foresters that is basically an insurance club. That is to say, it was started by people who formed a insurance company and then supscribers were called members. My father belonged to the Foresters for a number of years.

Didn't Fred Flintstone belong to a branch of the "Buffalos"? :lol:

Regards

Brian

Yes - not a word we use today - pre and post are more usual. Still Brian - you didn't have to support Mike quite so quickly.......

You're also (again ! ) right about Fred Flintstone - one of my favourite cartoons - along with Tom and Jerry ! He and Barney used to wear those fur hats with horns.

Of course you are correct, Mike. The first time I ran into this term was when reading about the antebellum houses that were built before and survived the Civil War.

I wonder if this lodge is like the Service Clubs here, such as the Lions Club etc. Or is it was more like the Independent Order of Foresters that is basically an insurance club. That is to say, it was started by people who formed a insurance company and then supscribers were called members. My father belonged to the Foresters for a number of years.

Didn't Fred Flintstone belong to a branch of the "Buffalos"? :lol:

Regards

Brian

Brian,

I could be wrong, but I believe they're more like the Freemasons, just a men's fraternal organization promoting brotherhood and fellowship. I don't really know much about them. I found their website, http://www.raob.org/ and it appears they are British in origin. I also saw on the page "Introduction to Buffaloism" where it states that there are "...no contractual or insurance elements attached to membership..."

Oh, and Fred and Barney belonged to the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes, Lodge No. 26. Perhaps they're in competition with the Antedeluvians! :blush:

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Mike:

Well done on the Flintstone trivia. We'll have to keep you in mind as our expert on everything regarding the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes, if it comes up again. :lol:

Mervyn:

Sorry but I had to jump on this quickly as that was one of the few Latin terms I remembered from school, and one gets to use it so little these days. As we used to say, "Latin is all Greek to me". Ok, I failed humour as well. :blush:

Regards

Brian

I recall once seeing some paperwork relating to the order with a WWI Aussie group, so I think they go back that far at least. Where else and when else they existed I've no idea.

Brian

If you failed 'humour' in school you're in good company with this lot, mate! :cheeky:

For your interest, I bought them this morning - but only for the scrap value of the silver. What a pity they are not collectible - a lot of work in them.

I'm sure there is a market for them, somewhere. It's not like they are junk and as you said "- a lot of work in them". Anyone wanting a good "starter" collection of such memorabilia should jump at the chance to own them.

Regards

Brian

• 3 years later...

HI

Top in box - Old 2nd Degree Primos Jewel (not got one of these in my collection)

Red collarette is for a 3rd degree

Left (gold ribbon) - looks like a lodge medal.

blue ribbon nbext to gold - 2nd degree primos jewel

Middle left (red ribbon) - 3rd degree jewel,

middle right - blue ribbon - 4th degree jewel

right - services rendered jewel ( presented for anything lodge said was good enough)

Paul Richardson (RAOB GLE)