News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wartime Red Cross medals etc

British Red Cross proficiency medals.

Left hand medal is for proficiency in Red Cross Nursing with clasp for 1918. Named to 7447 M Walker Hopkins.

Right hand medal is for Proficiency in Red Cross First-Aid with clasps for 1942 & 1943. Named to O18260 C N Smith.

Thanks for sharing. This is also a tangent of mine since my wife is a nurse practitioner. I also have a British Red Cross proficiency medal for nursing (named to K. Hill), but it doesn't have the dated clasps like your's; I haven't seen those before.

Thanks again... Here's to the ladies! :cheers:

Edited by IrishGunner

Irish Gunner and Leigh, thanks for your comments. I know these are not military but they do have some significance to the 1st and 2nd World War. God only knows what some of the receipients of these medals saw and endured?

I have a few other red cross badges, postcards and a shoulder badge. A lot of these items I have found on boot markets and emporiums. Some have been bought off E-Bay all at a reasonable price. The 14-18 boxed medal is probably my favourite and they are out there if you look.

The last one I saw complete in its box was at Brackley antiques cellar but that was a few months ago.

Cheers

Muckaroon.

Irish Gunner and Leigh, thanks for your comments. I know these are not military but they do have some significance to the 1st and 2nd World War. God only knows what some of the receipients of these medals saw and endured?

I have a few other red cross badges, postcards and a shoulder badge. A lot of these items I have found on boot markets and emporiums. Some have been bought off E-Bay all at a reasonable price. The 14-18 boxed medal is probably my favourite and they are out there if you look.

The last one I saw complete in its box was at Brackley antiques cellar but that was a few months ago.

Cheers

Muckaroon.

I have seen BRCS medals with boxes before on eBay. I have an unnamed example on without a box. Since mine wasn't named, I didn't assume the boxes had names on them. Will have to watch closer now and maybe upgrade.

The pride of my nurse collection is a Victory Medal named to Staff Nurse Daye; I have been able to do some research on her, but haven't found her specific wartime service.

I have seen BRCS medals with boxes before on eBay. I have an unnamed example on without a box. Since mine wasn't named, I didn't assume the boxes had names on them. Will have to watch closer now and maybe upgrade.

The pride of my nurse collection is a Victory Medal named to Staff Nurse Daye; I have been able to do some research on her, but haven't found her specific wartime service.

The name has been written in pencil so I would assume it was unofficial? cheers.gif

Names are written on the boxes just to facilitate issue to the right person at local level, even named medals need some kind of identification on the box when they're handed out, either a properly printed &/or written label or just a pencilled scrawl on the box - one of my own unnamed UN bottle tops has a name written on the bottom of its box - not mine, but it's the one that was handed to me.

Hi Muckaroon,

Thanks for posting you interesting collection. I have just a couple of comments, or rather a comment and a suggestion in general.

First, while the Red Cross may not be military in the strictest sense of the term I think they have proven their "right" to be displayed on the GMIC. So please continue to do so as it is a very interesting area of study. I believe we had - or had - a member who collected Red Cross memorabilia, though I don't remember seeing any current posts from him. So if he is reading this post please join in, I apologize that I have forgotten your name. Getting old is not all that...what was I saying?

Second,as a general comment, I hope other Red Cross collectors or those of us who have Red Cross items in our collections will add to this thread, with Muckaroon's permission of course. I think it is important to build threads into a reference source and the best way - in my less than humble opinion - is to build a thread into such a reference source through membership participation.

My grand daughters are coming for a visit later today so I'll be busy spoiling them rotten; however, I will, with your permission Muckaroon, post some of my Red Cross collection on this thread later.

Great thread and thanks for posting your collection.

Regards

Brian

Hi Muckaroon,

Thanks for posting you interesting collection. I have just a couple of comments, or rather a comment and a suggestion in general.

First, while the Red Cross may not be military in the strictest sense of the term I think they have proven their "right" to be displayed on the GMIC. So please continue to do so as it is a very interesting area of study. I believe we had - or had - a member who collected Red Cross memorabilia, though I don't remember seeing any current posts from him. So if he is reading this post please join in, I apologize that I have forgotten your name. Getting old is not all that...what was I saying?

Second,as a general comment, I hope other Red Cross collectors or those of us who have Red Cross items in our collections will add to this thread, with Muckaroon's permission of course. I think it is important to build threads into a reference source and the best way - in my less than humble opinion - is to build a thread into such a reference source through membership participation.

My grand daughters are coming for a visit later today so I'll be busy spoiling them rotten; however, I will, with your permission Muckaroon, post some of my Red Cross collection on this thread later.

Great thread and thanks for posting your collection.

Regards

Brian

Oops, I just realized what section this is posted in. Sorry, this area is for collectors to post THEIR collections and not for general discussions. I would have deleted my post but I think the point is still valid even though I "carelessly" placed it in the wrong section.

My apologies.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for your kind comments Brian. I did look through out the site to see if there was a section on the Red Cross or associated memorabilia? Perhaps this is something that could be done? As long as the section is associated to militaria i.e the Red Cross or the Womens Voluntary Service etc then these items could be posted and discussed?cheers.gif

Thanks for your kind comments Brian. I did look through out the site to see if there was a section on the Red Cross or associated memorabilia? Perhaps this is something that could be done? As long as the section is associated to militaria i.e the Red Cross or the Womens Voluntary Service etc then these items could be posted and discussed?cheers.gif

I too looked through the forum and found nothing. I am sure I have posted Red Cross somewhere but where I cannot say now.

Since this section is specifically for your collection if you would like to start a post in another area others could add to it. I've done a similar thing in the section under Commonwealth Police for Special Constabulary memorabilia. I will be glad to add my modest collection of Red Cross items - mostly WWI - to that post.

Regards

Brian