News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DOUBLE DRAGON

alex82

Hello

I thought this is worth posing here, this Double Dragon went away for about 4800$ last Saturday. I did also bid for it but my personal limit was 2000$ so no chance for me there.

Do you think that almost 5000$ is a good price or much to high for this medal? (I came with the original case)

greetings

a l e x

Hello

I thought this is worth posing here, this Double Dragon went away for about 4800$ last Saturday. I did also bid for it but my personal limit was 2000$ so no chance for me there.

Do you think that almost 5000$ is a good price or much to high for this medal? (I came with the original case)

greetings

a l e x

Seems a bit much to me. It's not exactly comparable, but I bought my DD (Neck badge and star) for about $1100 in '05. See below. Liverpool Medals has never been famous for low prices.

Imperial Order of the Double Dragon, 2nd Type (1900-1911), 2nd Class, 3rd Grade, Neck badge and star in silver/gold and enamel, EF,

Liverpool Medal, 8/05

Hello

greetings

a l e x

I think you were lucky Alex. I doubt that this would be the average price for this order. Do you happen to have any pix of the back?

Richard

Hello and thank you for your replay

@Richard: Unfortunately I wasn't the lucky one, my limit was 2000$ and I was way outbid with almost 5000$. (Sorry for my, sometimes, confusing Englisch) So you think 5000$ or 2000$ is a good price for this medal?

@Hugh: It's interesting how fast the prices raised over the last five years, I followed a lot of auctions over the last 2 years and 1100$ for DD (Neck badge and star) is, in my opinion, a extrem low price.

Any guess why the prices for pre communist chinese medals ar so high now compared to a few years ago?

and here is the reverse of the medal from ebay, unfortunately there was no picture of the case…

many thanks

a l e x

Hello and thank you for your replay

@Richard: Unfortunately I wasn't the lucky one, my limit was 2000$ and I was way outbid with almost 5000$. (Sorry for my, sometimes, confusing Englisch) So you think 5000$ or 2000$ is a good price for this medal?

@Hugh: It's interesting how fast the prices raised over the last five years, I followed a lot of auctions over the last 2 years and 1100$ for DD (Neck badge and star) is, in my opinion, a extrem low price.

Any guess why the prices for pre communist chinese medals ar so high now compared to a few years ago?

and here is the reverse of the medal from ebay, unfortunately there was no picture of the case…

many thanks

a l e x

Alex -

Thanks for the picture of the back. That was a very good looking set. I believe that the rise in prices of pre-communist medals may have been acerbated by the Cultural Revolution when the Red Guard zealots destroyed much of China's historical treasures. If this was the case, it then appears that there may be more of these treasures outside of the Chinese mainland than can be found in country. That being the case, who can or cannot say that US 5,000 is a good or a bad price. At this point the primary factor in the pricing of these medals is availability. Thanks again for sharing your information and bringing it to this forum. It is the only way that we may be able to answer the questions that arise.

Ruchard

In addition to Richard's well-founded comments, I'd offer the following. While I don't have direct personal knowledge, I wonder if there may not have been a resurgence of interest among the Chinese themselves. I know that CHinese art in general has appreciated considerably in recent years, in large part because the Chinese are buying again. Does anyone else have comments?

Hugh

In addition to Richard's well-founded comments, I'd offer the following. While I don't have direct personal knowledge, I wonder if there may not have been a resurgence of interest among the Chinese themselves. I know that CHinese art in general has appreciated considerably in recent years, in large part because the Chinese are buying again. Does anyone else have comments?

Hugh

I have seen an interest in KMT era militaria on the mainland. Before ebay's removing bidders names (or I can see from feedback left to and from bidder), I have seen a few bidders from China bidding on Nationalist daggers and other items. WWII items is very interesting to many people over there. They have a lot of TV dramas on the war with Japan (Qing dynasty, warlord era, 1930s, and Civil War period are other time period popularly dramatized), even though it is mostly propragandized. Reenacting is also becoming popular.

I have found a few Chinese militaria forums and the ones I have seen have a section for that era up to 1949. There is still items to be found there! One thread had a complete officers tunic! These things probably have been buried away or forgotten during the Cultural Revolution. I have always thought the only way to find WWII items is outside of China because of fakes, but these forums have persuaded me otherwise.

There is a little bit more liberty to collect the stuff (probably to appease the ROC and/or maybe their acceptance of the KMT/ROC involvement in WWII), even though the mainland still restricts some freedoms. However, the TV stations there still censor out the Taiwan flag. unsure.gif