News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

GOOD STH. AFRICAN MEDAL BAR

This interesting group of South African Medals is for the period prior to 1994 - when the Government changed. This was the time of the Border Wars in South West Africa - when S.A. was fighting to help the rebels in Angola - who, in turn , were being supported by Russia and Cuba.

From left : The Pro Patria Medal. Awarded for the defence of Sth. Africa or, Prevention of Terrorism. The rare bar - the only one awarded - is for operations in Cunene. The value of the medal increases sharply with this bar. What is interesting is that S.A. probably never had more than about 12 Battalions fighting at any one time - and yet, over 350,000 were issued. This is the first type with suspension ring.

General Service Medal.Instituted Jan. 1st. 1983 and for service within South Africa.

Southern Africa Medal. Awarded for specific cross-border raids. This is quite a rare medal and was originally to have been made from the metal of a T34 Russian tank. The metal was found to be inferior and eventually, a small amount was included with the cupro-nickel. The prowling leopard is a lovely design and sums up the medal. Quite rare.

The final ones - 4 and 5 are the John Chard Decoration and the John Chard Medal. They replaced the Efficiency medal. They both bear the name of John Chard VC - he was the garrison commander at the Defence of Rorke's Drift in 1879. A pictorial representation of the trading post is shown on each medal. Not common to have both versions together. The holder of the Decoration is entitled to the initials ' JCD ' after his name.

This combination is not uncommon - but does show the holder had seen considerable service. These are not named - but, numbered. However, the medals are not numbered for the holder, but sequentially for issue of that medal. He was also entitled to a another higher award and also, the Rhodesian GSM. With the change of Govt. it is now quite difficult to look up these more modern medals.

Hello Mervyn -

Very nice group.

The Southern Africa Medal - I think it is the first type, having the "uniface" suspender (one side is flat) which makes the group even a little bit more special - but I think that who ever mounted these medals seems to have got the medal on backwards?

Another group with an anomaly for the "purist / traditionalist" and the "leave-it-alone-as-he-wore-it" groups to discuss...

regards

Thomas

A very nice group indeed. Not only did this chap have his Southern Africa Medal back to front, but it's in the wrong place too - it should come immediately after the Pro Patria Medal, with the General Service Medal in third place. By rights, there should also be an arm-of-service emblem on each of the two John Chard ribbons (crossed swords if he was in the army, an eagle if he was in the SAAF, or an anchor if he was in the navy), but I recall that in the 1980s they didn't always issue those emblems with the medals, and recipients had to battle to get hold of them.

Thankyou for comments everyone. I had spotted the mis-mounting - however, I'm a little undecided as to change them - or not ? Thomas rightly points out there is one school of thought that says leave them.

Our medal Forum is strange - I posted a few weeks ago a quite rare 1877-8 Kaffrarian War medal to the Frontier Armed and Mounted Police - under 60 with this bar date combination. No replies and only about 70 views before it went down the list. This doesn't bother me in the least - but, it does leave doubts as to just how much knowledge there is for these historical old wars and military events. Post WW1 or WW2 and there is immediate interest - perhaps it is that members like the more modern research ?

Our medal Forum is strange - I posted a few weeks ago a quite rare 1877-8 Kaffarian War medal to the Frontier Armed and Mounted Police - under 60 with this bar date combination. No replies and only about 70 views before it went down the list. This doesn't bother me in the least - but, it does leave doubts as to just how much knowledge there is for these historical old wars and military events. Post WW1 or WW2 and there is immediate interest - perhaps it is that members like the more modern research ?

Yeah- sometimes though it is overwhelming. If I am away 3 days or so there are @ 350 posts to look at and sometimes I miss the good stuff. That was one of them.

Can you rebump the Kaffir war medal? I thought it was just the Zulus fighting at that time.

Thankyou for comments everyone. I had spotted the mis-mounting - however, I'm a little undecided as to change them - or not ? Thomas rightly points out there is one school of thought that says leave them.

Our medal Forum is strange - I posted a few weeks ago a quite rare 1877-8 Kaffrarian War medal to the Frontier Armed and Mounted Police - under 60 with this bar date combination. No replies and only about 70 views before it went down the list. This doesn't bother me in the least - but, it does leave doubts as to just how much knowledge there is for these historical old wars and military events. Post WW1 or WW2 and there is immediate interest - perhaps it is that members like the more modern research ?

Hi Mervyn,

I tend to think a group should be left as is thereby preserving it as an artifact complete with the foibles of humanity. To take the group apart and munt them up correct takes the human touch away from the artifact and in a way produces just another one of many groups that are "correct". This point has been has been kick around on the forum before and I believe when the dust settled eveyone agreed it was a matter of taste.

I must admit to having missed your post of the 1877-8 Kaffarian War Medal. Perhaps a good number of the members are like me (poor bastards) and have several "irons" in the fire. There are many evenings when I get home that I have just enough time to skim over the day's posts before I am engrossed in one of my other interests. As far as research is concerned I would rather read about pre-Great War history, the British Empire days are facinating, at least to me. After that, the Great War holds much interest for me. Perhaps one of the problems is that there is a lot in print regarding WWI and WWII and the archives, here in Canada, are open for research into the soldiers serving in the First World War. There's nothing as good as the North West Frontier (India) for great history.

Regards

Brian

I think Ulsterman has hit the nail on the head - the volume of posts prevents going through everything - particularly if you can't do it daily. I hadn't realised that it averages over 300 a day...

As Arthur has pointed out, the wrong mountings are actually quite serious - however, I agree with Thomas and with Brian - who posted on this point a little time ago. They will remain ' as is ' and I will enclose a correct drawing . Arthur, I had forgotten the crossed swords - we have some in a box and I will have them put-on.

Brian - your comments on early periods are really as I feel. However, when the centenary of WW1 comes-up in 1914 I can almost guarantee that the general public will only follow a few of the battles and campaigns. The Zulu War - and the other short wars of the Victorian period are ideal for the public to follow - and account for the interest and collecting from them. Even the Boer War (1899-1902) proved to be too much for most of the public. 1999 saw great preparations for the centenary - thousands of visitors were expected and accomodation prepared. We found it to be a 'damp squib' and very few of the displays and fairs attracted much interest. Probably the best one was held at the town of Dundee - in Nthn. Natal. This was the area where the first battles were fought and almost the entire town dressed in period costume and uniform and it was a great success.

I think the point that comes out of this - is that occasionally we should bring postings back to the top - then people who missed them, have a second chance.