News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I couldn't find much on the internet regarding the composition and mission of the Luftschiffer-Abteilungen.

Were these units used for bombing missions or as observers (for artillery?) or both?

The specific unit that raised this question in my mind is Feldluftschiffer-Abteilung Nr. 8

Any information would be appreciated as I know nothing about air ships.

I couldn't find much on the internet regarding the composition and mission of the Luftschiffer-Abteilungen.

Were these units used for bombing missions or as observers (for artillery?) or both?

The specific unit that raised this question in my mind is Feldluftschiffer-Abteilung Nr. 8

Any information would be appreciated as I know nothing about air ships.

Try this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luftschiffer

The Feldluftschiffer is the name originally used for the tethered gas bags, and different from the Luftschiffer units which are the powered airship units.

Edited by Les

Les, thanks for the link. As I mentioned in the original post, I already did an internet search and came up with very general information like this wiki article.

Unfortunately, the internet sources lack specific details on the employment of air ships. The implication from the wiki articles like the one you link is that air ships were used almost exclusively for bombing, but it doesn't give a good idea of the unit types associated with powered air ships (presumably used for bombing) and the units with tethered balloons (presumably used for observation).

Edited by IrishGunner

Perfect Chris! :jumping: This is precisely the detail for which I was hoping.

I wonder why your site didn't come up in any of my Google searches... :unsure:

(PS: I got a couple award docs today - need to post those - fussartillerie though - not luftshifferabt.)