News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Indian Volunteer Forces Medal Group

I picked up this Medal Group this weekend in Bucharest, Romania, at what essentially amounts to a Spring Festival. I am curious why there wouldn't be a Victory Medal as part of the group and/or any other thoughts about this purchase. I don't normally collect medals of the British Empire since I don't know much about them, so any help would be appreciated.

Edited by pmargulies

Guest pikemedals

hi, if the officer wwi service was only in indian. he was not entitle to a victory medal.the railway regiments stay in indain in the war.paul

Guest pikemedals

the indian volunteer force officers decoration named to him was for the madras and southern mahratta railway rifles.i think it post 1935.paul

the indian volunteer force officers decoration named to him was for the madras and southern mahratta railway rifles.i think it post 1935.paul

Paul - thanks for the information; I've been trying to research it all weekend, but hardly knew where to begin! Paul

I wonder how ir landed up there?

Nice group!

Chris - my first thought...I seem to find odd things in Bucharest. Not too long ago I found an original presentation felt tip pin from President Nixon still in the box. The prices are good too!

Guest pikemedals

hi paul, madras and southern mahratta railway rifles i believed was formed in 1935. 1st battalion originally madras railway volunteers,amalgamated with 2nd battalion originally southern mahratta railway rifles,amalgamated with bellary volunteer rifle corps.paul hope that help you, paul

hi paul, madras and southern mahratta railway rifles i believed was formed in 1935. 1st battalion originally madras railway volunteers,amalgamated with 2nd battalion originally southern mahratta railway rifles,amalgamated with bellary volunteer rifle corps.paul hope that help you, paul

Paul - I really appreciate all of the information. It is great to be able to tap into the resources on GMIC!

Guest pikemedals

Going back to the Indian rail regiments, many of them volunteered to serve in other units to go overseas. Your officer who received the defence medal may have been in a civilian organisation as there is no war medal. It would be nice to look at the 1953 coronation medal roll to see why he received the medal. Regards,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

It would seem his uniformed service terminated prior to the onset of WWII, whereupon he was actively involved in some Civil Defence capacity - either in India or the UK. The 1953 Coronation is almost inevitably for civil service in the UK, so he may well have returned to the UK either before, during, or after the war. A very nice group indeed and (I suspect) a bargain!

From the January 1936 Indian Army List

Auxillary Force - India

The Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway Rifles

Majors

First Comissioned : 28th November 1908

Names : 2. Peebles, Archibald, V.D.

Date of Rank : 6th April 1928

The 2. indicates 2nd battalion

He is still in the Oct 1936 IAL same as above but no longer listed in the Oct 1937 IAL.

The Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway rifles came about by the joining indicated earlier on this thread but in 1910, a slight name change in 1917 with '32nd' being added to the front when it was made part of the Indian Defence Force, howver they reverted to the old name in 1920.

Hope that helps,

Matthew

From the January 1936 Indian Army List

Auxillary Force - India

The Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway Rifles

Majors

First Comissioned : 28th November 1908

Names : 2. Peebles, Archibald, V.D.

Date of Rank : 6th April 1928

The 2. indicates 2nd battalion

He is still in the Oct 1936 IAL same as above but no longer listed in the Oct 1937 IAL.

The Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway rifles came about by the joining indicated earlier on this thread but in 1910, a slight name change in 1917 with '32nd' being added to the front when it was made part of the Indian Defence Force, howver they reverted to the old name in 1920.

Hope that helps,

Matthew

Matthew - thanks very much for the information. Except for the forum, I've been running into deadends. Medal collecting is always more interesting when you can find out some of the history behind the person who earned it.

Thanks again,

Paul