Traditions badge of the 116th Panzer Division (Windhund)

I have had some very experienced collector friends who tell me this cap pin is authentic and I have other experienced collector friends who tell me it isn't. I'd be interested in knowing one way or the other. So if any of you have any facts that prove the point pro or con, I'd be delighted.

I have had some very experienced collector friends who tell me this cap pin is authentic and I have other experienced collector friends who tell me it isn't. I'd be interested in knowing one way or the other. So if any of you have any facts that prove the point pro or con, I'd be delighted.

Your badge look good to me. he back side coresponds to what I know, color and pin. some similar badge were manufactured after the war for the veterans but with holes on each side to sewn them (see pic).

jacques

An entry indicating that the holder was entitled to wear the badge was included in the Soldier's Soldbuch, as can be seen in the lower left of this scan from a Soldbuch belonging to a member of 9. Kompanie, Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 60. This Soldbuch came with one of the badges with two holes, which is almost certainly post-war.

I have seen these badges offered at a number of shows in Germany, usually the post-war type still attached in large numbers to pieces of thick brown card, probably as supplied by the manufacturer.

[attachmentid=20240]

Below is a Windhund cap badge given to me by a former young Belgian Red Cross assistant. The man had been in charge of burying the bodies of the German soldiers killed around his town during the Ardennes offensive in 1944. The badge was removed from the cap of a dead German soldier and kept as a souvenir. Unfortunately, in the rashly removal, both pins were broken off.

Best,

Marc