News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Submarine operations modern times

Hi Guys,

Am curious to know what operations submarines of the Royal Navy have been used in since the South Atlantic war.

Where any used during the two Gulf wars or indeed during the whole air ops Iraq thing?

What medals are submariners have likely to have been issued in the last 20 years or so?

HMS Splendid (swiftsure class submarine) & HMS Turbulent (Trafalgar class submarine), where both to my knowledge involved in Op Telic 1, but as to how much of an active role they both played, I couldn`t say. However, either way the crews of both these subs I amuse would be entitled to the Iraq medal with clasp?

Edited by mariner

In the late 1990s, HMS Splendid became the first British ship to be armed with American-built Tomahawk cruise missiles. Splendid fired Tomahawks in battle against Yugoslav targets in Belgrade during the Kosovo War. She again fired these weapons against Iraqi targets in the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

So the crew of the Splendid would have the NATO medal for Kosovo & the Iraq medal (with clasp). Golden Jubilee & LSGC are also highly likely.

Prior to 1990...

Her first major conflict came in 1982 when Argentine forces invaded the British held Falkland Islands. Splendid was one of the first submarines to reach the islands, arriving mid April, after sailing from Faslane. Unlike HMS Conqueror, Splendid did not fire in anger, she did however provide valuable reconnaissance to the British Task Force on Argentine aircraft movements. Splendid's presence also ensured that the Argentine Navy would not dare leave its port.

So you`ll have the South Atlantic Medal in there too.

HMS Turbulent

On 16 April 2003 HMS Turbulent was the first Royal Navy vessel to return home from the war against Iraq. She arrived in Plymouth flying the Jolly Roger after launching thirty Tomahawk cruise missiles.

So the Iraq medal again.

HMS Opossum served during the Gulf War (1991) and inserted SBS special forces teams into Iraq and occupied Kuwait.

So that would also add the Gulf medal to the list.

Edited by mariner

After Operation Veritas, the attack on Al-Qaeda and Taliban forces following the 9/11 attacks in the United States, it emerged that HMS Trafalgar was the first Royal Navy submarine to launch Tomahawk cruise missiles against Afghanistan.

So theres the Operational Service Medal for Afghanistan added to the growing list.

Interestingly I`m not aware of any subs being involved in the Air Operations Iraq phase between the to Iraq wars, however, the Royal Navy was certainly involved, so it might also be possible to add the General Service Medal to this list. But assuming that no subs where involved, this medal if awarded to the sailor whilst serving in a different role or on a surface ship, I suppose wouldn`t count as a medal, to a submariner, if you see what I mean.

So to recap. We`ve certainly got....

The South Atlantic Medal (with Rosette)

Gulf War 1 (with clasp)

Gulf War 2 (with clasp)

OSM Afghanistan (not sure about clasp)

NATO with clasp Kosovo.

& possibley GSM with clasp AOI.

Not to forget, The Queens Golden Jubilee & the LSGC medals.

Edited by mariner

Wow, thats cracking thanks very much!!!!!

Just out of interest, would these medals be named to the ship or just to `Royal Navy`?

The General Service Medal & Gulf War (1991) medals are certainly just named Royal Navy, as for the others I couldn`t say, but I`d assume the same. Now Long Service Medals, I think I`m right in saying that they are named to the ship you where on at the time, how that would work if you were land based I couldn`t say, then again I could be totally wrong, can anyone else help me out here? :whistle:

Is there an image of the edging showing the inscription? While I agree with the inscription showing his rank, name and service number (although the first digit should be a D rather than a 0) are you sure the bit mentioning HMS Spartan wasn't just added to the item description to indicate what he served on at the time?

I've looked at my father's 3 Royal Navy medals from the early 50's and they all have his rank, name, service number & RN around the edge, and the 4 medals I have been awarded from 1988 to present day all show my rank, trade, name, service number & RN. There may well be a seperate ruling for submariners but as I don't know that many, having always served on ships, I can't confrim one way or the other but I would of thought that the medals would all indicate RN (or RM) rather than actual unit.

Edited by hucks216

Is there an image of the edging showing the inscription? While I agree with the inscription showing his rank, name and service number (although the first digit should be a D rather than a 0) are you sure the bit mentioning HMS Spartan wasn't just added to the item description to indicate what he served on at the time?

I've looked at my father's 3 Royal Navy medals from the early 50's and they all have his rank, name, service number & RN around the edge, and the 4 medals I have been awarded from 1988 to present day all show my rank, trade, name, service number & RN. There may well be a seperate ruling for submariners but as I don't know that many, having always served on ships, I can't confrim one way or the other but I would of thought that the medals would all indicate RN (or RM) rather than actual unit.

The jury remains out on this one. I did email the seller asking them for confirmation of the naming, but didn`t get a reply. Will do a bit more digging and see if I can confirm this one way or the other, but it seems more likely that they`d all just have RN on them as apposed to the ship as this seems to be the norm with all the other RN medals.

Falkland medals do indeed have the ship listed on the edge. I believe all other campaign medals only list RN, but i'm not 100% sure about the most modern issues. LS&GC's also list ship.

cheers

Chris

...LS&GC's also list ship.

cheers

Chris

Mine doesn't - it just lists my rank, name, service number & RN. I wonder if it was an old practice where the ship was named on a LS&GC medal but after a certain date it was changed to just RN?

Edited by hucks216

Mine doesn't - it just lists my rank, name, service number & RN. I wonder if it was an old practice where the ship was named on a LS&GC medal but after a certain date it was changed to just RN?

I'm certain that is the case and that it was during Liz's Reign as i just saw a picture of one today named up to ship. I'll try and track down the date.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by censlenov