News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Croix de Guerre - Numbers Awarded

Duty First

G'day all.

I asked a question a couple of weeks ago about the number of CdeG awarded.

Not surprisingly, given the relative obscurity of the question, no one was able to come up with a definitive answer.

However, I recently purchased a book entitled:

90e Anniversaire de la croix de GUERRE actes de la journÉe d’Études organisÉe au musÉe de l’armÉe le 16 novembre 2005

published by the Service Historique de la Défense.

This book indicates that during World War One 2,055,000 croix/citations were awarded, including 449 to units. For World War Two, the figure given is 250,000.

I'm not sure if the number is for individual croix or for citations, although I somehow suspect the latter.

2,951 awards of the Croix de Guerre with Palm were made during World War One to communes and villes, while 1,588 such awards were made for World War Two, at various levels (the level of award apparently based on the degree of contribution to the war effort and/or suffering endured by the honoured community.

Unfurtunately, there are no numbers given for the Croix de Guerre TOE.

Hope you all find this interesting and useful.

Regards,

Duty First

For your info; I did recently see a publication offered (on ebay??) that listed all the Croix de Guerre recipients for the Marine Corps personnel in WWI.

I could try to find it again if you're interested?

Tim

• 4 weeks later...