News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

5 Star Aide... any value?

Hauptmann

Hi all,

Asked about this by a friend. Sorry I don't have a decent pic of the reverse but it's also gold with the standard pin back that the little round brass clasps go on. It's marked G23.

This insignia for an aide to a U.S. General of the Army (or Fleet Admiral) supposedly belonged to a General Braun. Only one I could find on a web search is:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/gjbraun.htm

I've written back to ask if there is any documentation with this piece (don't know if it's the single insignia or a pair) as of course otherwise it's just a story as I explained to him in my reply. I know that aide insignia are still plentiful and available on Ebay as well as from various other sources including companies that such military insignia. I couldn't find a five star on a quick search but assuming they're still produced and sold as well for about what the others would run. So assuming that if I'm correct in all this that with no documented history behind it it would not be worth much especially by itself... is this correct?

Now... "if" it is documented to the above General or another officer specifically who was indeed an aide to a 5 star then I'm assuming it would then have a bit of value... if so roughly how much?

This is just rather outside my usual areas of interest so I'm flying pretty much blind here and any help would be deeply appreciated!beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

Update: My friend just got me the correct name of the individual who originally had this device. But so far I can't find much of anything on the web.

Brigadier General Richard I. Braund

If anyone has any info on him and whether he was at some time an aide to a 5 star please let me know. Also this is apparently a group and not just the one device. No idea yet what all is included. Comes from the family. If I can find out more I'll post more updates.

Thanks!beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

I'm an Army guy so take what I say with a grain of salt but...

I do not believe such insignia were used by the Navy or Air Force.

The Army is fresh out of Generals of the Army and has been for a while.

When suggestions were made - in the wake of Iraq - no move was made to reinstate the rank sooooo... I doubt that you will find these being manufactured by reputable companies as there is simply no reason to do so. The position does not exist any longer.

I tend to agree that they were probably only used by the army. From what I remember navy uses aiguillettes for the various types of aides. Not sure about the other branches. Again it's something that's a bit outside my areas of interest... ie: I know enough to be dangerous.2014.gif

My thought on them still being available though was based on my having seen such things as the airship wings, balloon corps wings, etc., that are still ofered for collectors, museums, etc. But it may be that they are indeed no longer available.

Anyhow as I learn more about the grouping, etc., I'll post updates.

Thanks!beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

Edited by Hauptman

Based on the article Ed referenced – the junior aide to Omar Bradley – last surviving 5-star for any service, would have been a major at the time of the general’s death in 1981. In 1981, if my memory serves me correctly, a double below the zone promotion to major would have been at the eight (8) years of service point.

This aide, if he had just been appointed and a double below the zone type would have been a member of year group 1973. If currently serving would be in his/her 37th to 38th year of service – longevity normally reserved to the most senior generals, professors at USMA and very few others.

The total number of such officers surely tallies less than 75 and their biographies are out there if wanted. In my opinion, the effort is not worth it to do the research to determine if lightning actually struck twice.

Beyond that – what is the likelihood that this officer would have (1) discarded his brass and (2) decided to replace it at this point?

Clearly the same argument applies to the more senior aides with even lower odds.

That said, could the insignia manufacturers produce this brass – yes but the only reason why would be a high price for such limited production. The only authorized wear by an active duty officer of such insignia was between 1944 and 1981.

The G23 Army contractor code is for the Ira Greene Company of New York City. The insignia could have been made any time from the mid-1960s onward. Greene currently offers only 1, 2, and 4 star versions for sale at $16.35 each, just to give a little context to availability and cost when there's no provenance involved.