News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BRITISH MEDALS GROUPS - 4 FAMILIES

This unusual board has medals to both Grandfathers and one of their brothers and a son. Starting in 1896 , they go through to the 2nd. World War.

I will show each group separately, however, they all served in the famous Sth. African Regiment - The Kaffrarian Rifles - based in East London in the Eastern Cape. The white 'padding' on the death plaque is to prevent rubbing on the bronze.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

This first group is the most varied - and covers four separate campaigns. He was a Corporal at his highest rank - and varied from Trooper to Private - depending on the unit. I will list the medals - starting from the right and will then show the reverse.

RHODESIA 1896 - he was part of a special force of 850 men, raised in S.A. and sent to assist settlers in the 1896 rebellion in Rhodesia.

CAPE OF GOOD HOPE G.S.M. He served with the Kimberley Rifles in Bechuanaland 1896/7.

QUEEN'S SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL - three bars Defence of Kimberley; OFS;TVL. Kimberley Volunteer Regt.

KING'S SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL. 1901 and 1902 Bars.

1914 -19 & VICTORY MEDAL C.C.C & 3rd South African Horse. (CCC was probably the Cape Cyclist Corps - only about 60 men)

MAYOR's SIEGE MEDAL - late issue hall marked 1904. Issued for being in Defence of Kimberley.

This is always a rare and interesting group - being a Killed in Action.

He was Colour Sergeant W.J.M.HUSBAND - 5th S.A. Infantry - KAFFRARIAN RIFLES.

The Star will be for South West Africa

War and Victory - East Africa or, France - we are still researching.

MERITORIOUS MEDAL - Sgt. W.J.M.HUSBAND

MEMORIAL PLAQUE - WILLIAM JAMES MILLER HUSBAND

These are the two remaining sets in these groups. The top one is to Pte. T.E.HUSBAND 5th SAI - Kaffrarian Rifles. Brother to W.J.M.Husband.

The lower one is World War 2 - J.C.Hurfors - probably the son of T.G.Hurford. 39/45 Star; Africa Star; War Medal;Africa Medal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mervyn,

I was just "surfing" through some back posts and ran onto this one of yours. I don't know how I missed it the first time around.

What a great grouping! Thanks for posting it, my day has been made.

Regards

Brian

Now about those Japanese Swords I have... :whistle:

Doing some research on this group, I have made the remarkable discovery of the circumstances of W.J.M. Husband's death. I was expecting that he would have been KIA in East Africa. His Star denotes service in German South West Africa, and from there many troops were sent to fight in the campaign in East Africa. Many also took discharge and made their way to UK to join-up. However, South Africa raised an expeditionary force to fight in France alongside the British and they were heavily involved in the Somme - fighting an historic action at Delville Wood.

The first World War was a defining time for many of the younger Dominions - Australia; New Zealand ; Canada and South Africa. They had fought alongside Britain in the 1882 Egypt Campaign and also, the Boer War. However, nothing had prepared them for the carnage of 1914-1918.

For Canada - VIMY Ridge is forever engraved in the psyche of the Nation. For Australia and New Zealand - Gallipoli and the subsequent battles and campaigns will never be forgotten. These last two two Countries lost the highest number of men - in relation to the size of their populations - then any other Country. On ANZAC Day in Australia, the old soldiers are forgiven any excesses. For South Africa - with a very small population, the battles at Delville Wood - with so many officers and men killed in just a few days were horrific. Unfortunately, with the change of Govt., the old traditions honouring the fallen have been set aside.

The famous book on Delville Wood by Ian UYS lists those killed and I have re-printed some pages on the events. Husband is shown on his medal naming as a Clr. Srgt. and for the Meritorious Medal as Sgt.. In the book he is shown as a Corporal - perhaps the higher rank was for his Regt. ? He was killed on the 16th July 1916 - the day that saw the highest number killed in horrendous fighting.

Verification of his place of death makes this a very special group.

This is the first page of 2nd. Bn. deaths - the numbers are date KIA.