News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sudan Medals 1910 with 6 clasps

I recently purchased these two medals in Khartoum, Sudan. According to the book "BRITISH BATTLES AND MEDALS", the most clasps on a single medal was/is known to be FIVE. Given the amount and number of medal collectors in this country, I believe that these medals are in their original condition and I have not come across loose or single clasps here. Any comments will be most welcome. The medals are first and second versions.

Nice one Wil!

To check the feasibilty of the clasp combinations you should see if the clasps are appropriate to the type of medal - i.e. on the second type (Fouad the First) all clasps should be post 1917 which is when he succeeded Sultan Hussain Kamel.

Owain

Nice one Wil!

To check the feasibilty of the clasp combinations you should see if the clasps are appropriate to the type of medal - i.e. on the second type (Fouad the First) all clasps should be post 1917 which is when he succeeded Sultan Hussain Kamel.

Owain

Thanks Owain,

I found these two medals tucked away in box at a watch repairman's shop in Omdurman!

Wil,

On looking at BB&M wef 1917 the clasps are:

Lau Nuer (27/2-25/4)

Nyima 1917-18 (5/4/17-21/2/18)

Atwot 1918 (13/3-25/5)

Garjak Nuer (13-16/5 1919 & 16/1-26/4/1920)

Aliab Dinka (8/11/1919- 6/5/1920)

Nyala (26/9/1921-20/1/1922)

Nyala 1921 (26/9-22/11)

Darfur 1921 (26/9-22/11)

I suspect your fine examples are combination pieces not awarded examples ........unless of course they are named........

Owain

Thanks Owain,

I am just glad to have now completed all the clasps etc in my collection of this very fascinating medal with its skirmishes/operations that are represented by the medal and the associated clasps.

Strangely, the two named medals I have do not have any clasps. Both are to the Sudanese Infantry.

Regards,

Will