News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Boer War serge jacket

Hello all,

I just picked up a Boer War serge jacket for my collection. It's an odd piece. Here's why:

• The pattern's a copy of the khaki drill tunic, in the same serge material as the other tunics on this thread.
    • It also has a liner, which suggests it's a private-purchase piece.
    • There is no paper label from what I can tell from the photographs.
    • No sign of insignia, either. It generally appears unissued.

The buttons are all QVC, and the material and construction look absolutely Victorian to me. The seller bought it unidentified from an antiques dealer in New York City in 1972. I'll post pics when it arrives later in the week.

So, was a copy of KD in serge was an authorized pattern?

V/r,

~TS

Hi TS

Based on your description I wouldn't have any qualms about this being a bona fide Boer War jacket. A great many patterns were tried out during that war, both for regular and other units. In "A military history of Perthshire" there are photos of Black Watch men wearing no less, as I recall, than 12 different variants!

I look forward to seeing the jacket once you've got some pictures handy.

Regards,

W.

• 1 month later...

All,

I don't collect Boer war and my interest in uniforms is great war and evolution prior.

Dicsusssion of meeting the demand for a serge drab frock was addressed by the ACD on 6 October 1899 when it was decided to produce Khaki Serge versions of the pattern 3901d/1899 Scarlet Serge Frock and pattern 3919c/1896 of the Blue Serge Trousers.

Pattern 4914/1899 was sealed on 10 October 1899 "Frock, Khaki Serge"--it was further updated with 4914a/1901 before being declared obsolete several years later.

Pattern 4915/1899 was sealed on the same day "Trousers, Khaki Serge"--modifying the Blue serge pattern by deletion of the back strap and buckle and including a fob pocket.

This was further updated with pattern 4915a/1899 on 29 Dec 1899 that stipulated flax be used for the pockets.

These trousers were declared obsolete several years later.

Hope this is of interest

Joe Sweeney