News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Water stains on flags

Hello,

Just out of curiousity, I wonder if the idea of trying to remove water stains from flags is something that should be considered doing and what the outcome of doing it would be,making things worse or what? I usually try not to buy anything with damage to it but this item is something I just couldn't resist.

I was just wondering if there is any safe way to remove water stains without damaging the item? I mostly ask this out of curiousity because I most likely will leave well enough alone but I would like to hear any ideas about should it be attempted or left alone and if I was to do it how would it be done? Thanks for any info or opinions

Duzig(Bill)

My suggestion would be to leave well enough alone. I assume that the flags are silk and I believe that water damage to silk is generally irreparable. However, I'm basing this on recollections of a course on artifact preservation I took several years ago so you might want to get an opinion from a museum or professional conservator.

The US National Park Service publishes a series of absolutely invaluable papers/pamphlets of artuifact preservation, intended for theior museums and historic sites and available on line. Google "US Park Service artifact conservation" and variations on that and see what they have.

Peter

Hello,

Peter thanks for your information. I probably will leave it alone as I don't want to make it any worse. I just figured if there was some sure fire safe way to get rid of stains such as that I might give it a try. It is a large DAF banner(posted in the recen't finds forum)I believe it is made of cotton and not silk. In any case I will google US Park service artifact preservation as you suggest and see what comes up. I certainly can live with the water stains on the item, in some sense it gives it that "been there" look and I certainly wouldn't want to do more harm than good. Thanks again for your help.

Bill