News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sth. African Officers' Sword

I posted a little time ago, an interesting South African Police pattern officer's sword. Post 1960 - when Britain refused to sell weapons to Sth. Africa - it was made in Solingen, Germany.

I am now showing the Army Officers' pattern for the same period - 1960-1994. Again, the blade is of stainless steel and the guard is reminiscent of a British Artillery pattern. These swords are not of a high standard - and I show this only that both types can be identified to collectors. The regular Army had swords withdrawn after the change of Govt. in 1994 - however,our territorial regiments - some of which go back over 150 years still have them for officers and senior NCO's.

The regular Army had swords withdrawn after the change of Govt. in 1994 - however,our territorial regiments - some of which go back over 150 years still have them for officers and senior NCO's.

It always distresses me when armies do away with years, if not centuries, of tradition to cut costs or just to be more "modern". True swords serve no real purpose anymore, but they certainly improve the overall appearance on parade! I'm glad the US Army has been sloooowwwwllly getting back to swords for officers and NCO's, at least in certain ceremonial units.