News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

JAPANESE OCC. TERR. BANKNOTES.

These are Japanese Occupation Notes for the Philippines in Five Pesos. The note on the top was issued in 1942 and the note on the bottom was issued in 1943. Notice the note on the bottom does not have the block letter P on it and the note on the top does.

Bob

• Replies 67
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thses are Japanese Occupation Notes for the Philippines in Ten Pesos and the note on the top was printed in 1943 and the note on the bottom was printed in 1942. Again, notice the note on the top doesn't have the P block letter on the obverse and the note on the bottom does.

Bob

This is a One Peso "Victory Issue" for the Philippines. This is a series 66 note which was printed in 1944 to be used on the return of Mac Arthur to the Philippines. It was printed by the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing and was the last Philippine Currency printed by them.

Bob

These are two Allied Occupation of Germany 1/2 and 1 Mark notes which were issued in 1944.

These notes were issued by the Western Allies and carry a secret sign of F for Forbes the printer while those printed by the Russians ( they were given the glass positives by the U.S. A. ) were without this initial. These notes were also used by the population.

Bob

This is Allied Military Currency used in Japan. This 50 Sen note with B underprinting was printed in 1945 and were legal tender for Japanese Citizens from Sept. 1945 - July 1948.

B Yen were used in Okinawa until 1958.

Bob

This is a Auxiliary Payment Certificate, German Armed Forces 1942 ND Issue. This certificate was used as legal tender within the services during WWII and was worth ten times the face value if spent in military channels.

Bob

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread and thought I would throw up a few. My dad brought back a bit from the war and I have accumulated several notes over the years. I have to look for some in the safe and I have a lot in an album somewhere.

Here are some of mine:

Another Malaya 5 Dollar note (ND 1942 issue) like Bob's. Interestingly, the same period Burmese 5 Rupee note was of the same front design with the coconut palm and paw-paw tree and printed in almost same colors.

Tim

The Philippine Collection: I have some other nice notes, namely the 2 pesos.

Here's a nice conditioned 1 Peso Note (ND 1943 issue) with both the serial and block numbers on it (the more common variety).

Tim

My last two for now are not really "Occupation Notes" but I don't think you'll mind.

Here's a Japanese 1938 "Paper Money" issue 50 Sen note (Showa yr. 13). These are not as commonly found as the later 1942-44 series.

Tim

Edited by Tim B

And the more common Japanese 1942 "Paper Money issue 50 Sen note. This one is marked for Showa yr. 17

I have a couple of these and need to check the year of issue I guess.

That's it for tonight. I have a lot of old Chinese paper from the war if interested? Enjoy!cheers.gif

Tim

And the more common Japanese 1942 "Paper Money issue 50 Sen note. This one is marked for Showa yr. 17

I have a couple of these and need to check the year of issue I guess.

That's it for tonight. I have a lot of old Chinese paper from the war if interested? Enjoy!cheers.gif

Tim

Tim,

Was the Japanese Soldier paid in this form of money or did they have their own Military Script? Yes, I'd like to see your Chinese paper money. One of my old coffee drinking buddies who flew 35 missions over Japan in WWII said they used to check out their survival vests and inside one of the pockets they had Chinese money. They had to turn in their vests after every mission and everything was accounted for. Have you ever heard of this?

Bob

Hi Bob,

Okay, give me a couple of days to dig out what I can find and take some PIC's. Needed to to it anyway I guess, just never thought too many were interested in the subject and didn't bother.

On the money issue questions; I have no idea. Seems to me that a Japanese soldier in the field would have little use of printed money, even in local "Occupation notes". They would get what they needed issued to them and probably have some sort of "chit" for minor purchases depending on locations outside Japan. I consider most of these type notes were used for the "local's" currency during the war.

As far as flight crews and the money in their vests, I have not heard of this before but, it would make perfect sense to me. Figure the crews had jackets with the Chinese "Blood Chit" on the reverse and someone would probably have included some "funny money" to buy them help or at least out of trouble in any event. As far as accounting would go, yes, I could see that items would be inventoried and accounted for to ensure the items were there if and when needed, and not sent home as souvenirs.

My thoughts anyway.beer.gif

Tim

Edited by Tim B

As promised Bob. I have to digress a bit with some other notes first.

Here's another Japanese 1942 "Paper Money issue 50 Sen note. This one is marked for Showa yr. 19

You can see the date circled in red.

Tim