News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - Strugling with Italian ribbon bars

Hi all,

I obtained some nice Italian (at least I presume they are all Italian) ribbon bars a while ago but haven't found time to study them before.

Now, when I started looking them, I discovered that I am not able to ID most of the ribbons.

Please help me, who have more exerience with this country awards. Any ideas about the owners service, rank, etc would be great as well.

1. Order of St. Maurice and Lazarus (what two crowns indicate?), ? , ? , Malta Cross ??? But why with the rosette?

2. War Cross, WW1 Medal, United Italy Medal 1848-1918 (or is it some kind universal ribbon for many different awards?), ???

3. Wrong way around - Order of St. Maurice and Lazarus, Order of the Crown, ? ,

4. Order of St. Maurice and Lazarus with the Crown (Officer class?), Order of the Crown, Malta Cross

5. Is it Italian at all??? Looks more like Belgium, France, etc to me...

6. Order of St. Maurice and Lazarus with the Crown (Officer class?), Order of the Crown with two crowns, Colonial Star - person, who served abroad in colony?

14793191bc9d05_o.jpg

Thank you Michael!cheers.gif

Here is information, what I recieved from Luckas (thank you again!)

I'll try to help:

1. O. of SS. Maurice and Lazarus (two crowns denote class of Grand Officer), Bulgarian O. of Civil Merit - Commander (although it is Bulgarian, the owner uses the Italian method of class marking), Vatican O. of St. Sylvester, (probably) the order of Holy Sepulchre or of Malta.

2. Italian War Cross, WWI Commemorative, Italian Unification M., (probably) Spanish O. of Isabel the Catholic (Grand Commander).

3. Romanian O. of the Crown (Knight), Montenegro O. of Danilo, (probably) Monaco O. of St. Charles, (probably) Hungarian O. of Merit. (the bar can be upside down then the green one can be Knight of SS. Maurice & Lazarus)

4. O. SS. Maurice & Lazarus - Commander, O of the Crown of Italy (Grand Officer), O. of Malta.

5. (probably) Dutch O. of the Lion, UK Royal Victorian O. (MVO4), (probably) O. of Adolph of Nassau (although can be eg. Egyptian O. of the Nile).

6. O. SS. Maurice & Lazarus - Commander, O of the Crown of Italy (Grand Officer), O. of the Star of Italy (Commander).

Judging from so many, quite high-ranking foreign orders, it was probably someone in diplomatic service (a military attache for example).

Meantime, Officer's and Commander's grade should be around the neck or as a breast star on the uniform??? Did Italians "dupliacted" all the award to the ribbon bars as well?

No. 5 is probably from other country or can it be some Italian second (third) row? As I said, they arrived all together and thats the reason why I was quessing that this one is Italian as well.

Also how commonly Italians used rosettes on the ribbons?

Thank you again!

Timo aka Noor

• 2 months later...