News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Montenegro - awards for WW1 : Can anyone correctly identify which exactly are they ?

Hi All,

I'm trying to establish which exactly were the two Montenegro awards, received during WW1, by the world famous Italian poet-soldier Gabriele D'Annunzio (1863-1938).

I have an article, written some year ago (1994) by an association here in Italy, that list all the foreign awards received by D'Annunzio, but the 2 Montenegro awards were incorrectly described and so I have a certain difficulty in rightly identify them.

Following I'll report what is written in the Italian article after having literary translated in English the relevant part of it:

1)

From King Nicola of Montenegro, D'Annunzio was awarded the :

- Order 3° of St. Stefano (Stephan) of the Prince Danilo I, instituted for the independence of the Montenegro.

2)

King Nicola of Montenegro awarded D'Annunzio with the 'medal of COURAGE in silver' (this award was made to D'Annunzio for War Merit and it came from Cettigne 14th - 27th, October 1917).

From what I have understood, D'Annunzio received from King Nicola of Montenegro respectively 1 Order and 1 Medal. Can anyone help me in correctly identify these two awards ?

Last, but not less important, I would like to know exactly which are the correct ribbons used for these 2 awards possibly by the publication of a couple of photos.

Many Thanks for your precious help

Best Regards

Lilo

Edited by lilo

Dear Lilo,

The First decoration is ''Order of the Danilo I for Independent of Montenegro''. As it's the ONLY Monenegrian order (with exception of the Order of St. Peter, but this one was bestowed only to the members of the royal house), it must this one. Instituted in 1853, finaly got 5 classes. D'Anunnzio (acording to your data) was awarded with Class III, a neck badge. Ribbon was white with red stripes at the edge.

Obverse has a royal cypher D I in medalion, with circumscription ''Lord of Montenegro''. Reverse bears wording 'For Independance of Montenegro 1852 - 1853''

Medal is Silver Medal '' For Bravery '', instituted in 1941 and awarded until existing of Montenegro, 1918. Ribbon is the same, white with red stripes at the edge, so called Montenegrian ''war ribbon''. Reverse bears wording '' Faith / Freedon / for Bravery /

I'm enclosing pictures of both decorations

Hi Bovec,

Many Tanks for your usual help, patience and kindness in answering my questions !

Only a doubt is left .......

Often, I have seen that the Montenegro 'Bravery Medal' was suspended from a different ribbon whose colours are White / Blue / Red.

I have seen this examining old WW1 photos and colour plates on medal catalogues showing the medal in question.

Moreover, it appears that this is the same case of D'Annunzio because in the War museum at the 'Vittoriale', where his medals are held, there is a set of His ribbons containing the White / Blue / Red ribbon.

Can you explain why it was so common to use (I think at least during WW1) the 3 colours ribbon for the Montenegro 'Bravery Medal' and in which occasion / the reason for this ribbon was used ?

Many Thanks

Lilo

P.S. : I have below attached the Montenegro 'Bravery Medal' suspended from the 3 colours ribbon and the D'Annunzio's ribbons (held by the museum) where is it possible to see the 3 colours ribbon.

Edited by lilo

Hi Lilo,

very interesting pictures indeed.

(Silver) Medal for Bravery has indeed red-blue-white ribbon, but only untill 1895; later white ribbon with red stripes was used.

However, Gold Medal for Bravery (official name is Medal for Bravery ''Milosh Obilich'') has all the time red-blue-white triangular ribbon.

In your text it's explicitely stated ''Medal of courage in silver'', so it's no doubt its the silver one. In D'Annunzion was in no way decorated before 1895.

Maybe there is an explanation

Montenegro was defeated and conquered by KuK troops in January 1916; royal family went to exile in Italy, where decorateions were bestowed further on. It's possible that in exile Chacellery of Orders was probably in shortage of some decorations and ribbons and it was used what was on stock. So, it's not so unusual that Medal for Bravery was bestowed on wrong (or old) ribbon. That was not the time to look after all details...

I'm enclosing pictures on Medal fro Bravery ''Milosh Obilich''

Hi Bovec,

again many tanks : it is a very interesting guessing, indeed !

As a further testimony of the use of the 1st type of ribbon (i.e. pre 1895) for this medal, I have below attached another photo (WW1 period) of an American, this time, from which you can easily see the 3 colours of the ribbon used for the medal in question.

The man to which the medal rack belongs is the US Medal of Honour winner Thomas Croft Neibaur whose relative (a member of this forum by name of Daniel Cole) has posted the photos on this forum at :

http://gmic.co.uk/in...=1&#entry130214

and at :

http://gmic.co.uk/in...=1&#entry313572

Regards

Lilo

Edited by lilo

US Medal of Honour winner Thomas Croft Neibaur

P.S. Hi Daniel, I hope you don't mind if I re-posted these photos here.

Edited by lilo