News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The field of collecting model soldiers has always been an active one and crosses all boundaries of class and Country. One has only to visit Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire to see the enormous collection of Winston Churchill, from when he was a boy. However, I don't recall seeing any posts during my time with GMIC ?

There are many British companies who have made models - after all, with three major wars in the 20th. Century they had plenty of incentive - however, the one that stands 'head and shoulders' above the others is Britain's. Their quality has always been first rate and they are known for the attention to detail. With more collectors looking for them, the old Britain's sets have become scarce.

The ones I am showing are part of a major collection put together in the fifties and sixties - the first photo show just how big it was - and it was all set around the 1953 Coronation procession. The original owner has now passed away - however, at one time he had it displayed in a shop window, with only a glass pane to keep customers in the shop from touching. The result, when he collected-it - only the items I show were left ! A very good reason not to put things on display without security - like many others I learnt my common sense the hard way.

The Queen has many Coaches for different processions - the top one is the Gold Coach - shown here. I think it was made for King George 2nd in the 1740's - but may be older. It weighs several tons and has NO brakes. The postillions control the horses and a number of household pages -wearing the Georgian style Jockey's caps - walk alongside, ready to give help. These are fairly complete in numbers, but the attendent 'Beefeaters' - actually Yeomen Warders of the Tower of London - are mostly missing.

I have set the procession out the best I can with the missing pieces. I think this big Coach, with the sides decorated, was the top of the range. They actually made several different models and in the box was a miniature - which I show.

Please fill in the gaps and put extra details. Also, would any model collectors like to add-on ?

The original photo, showing part of the full collection.

Hello Mervyn -

Very nice display, but I am unsure here. Are you saying that the difference in the number of pieces between post #1 and post #4 is because of simple theft. That is shocking if it is the case, and very sad indeed.

I dont have any lead soldiers but have often been tempted by auction lots to take the plunge - maybe one day.

Thank you for posting.

regards

Thomas