News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross 1st Class

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to post one of my newest additions to the collection, an Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross 1st Class.

I seems to be a nice clean example, a bit different from some that I've seen which look to have been iron and painted black. This one seems to be blackened bronze (a non-ferous metal). I don't know much about the history of these medals as far as the material they were made from. If they were made from different metals, that is to say iron and then brass, would this make this example a later minting?

Ulsterman, would you be so kind as to post your photo of the officer wearing the Oldenburg Cross 1st class here? It would be most appreciated, and would really round out the post.

Regards

Brian

If they were made from different metals, that is to say iron and then brass, would this make this example a later minting?

Regards

Brian

The wartime issues were blackened iron with a concave depression on the reverse center.

The postwar production could be either iron or tombak with a smooth reverse.

Hi Tom,

As usual the one in my collection is not fitting in either category.

Mine is NOT made of iron but has the concave centre, though you would not know so much so from the photo.

It is not as well defined as your example but it is definitly not smooth on the reverse.

Regards

Brian

The wartime issues were blackened iron with a concave depression on the reverse center.

The postwar production could be either iron or tombak with a smooth reverse.

Hi Tom,

Where did that info come from? At this stage I disagree. The wartime awards with certainly in blackened iron, but are found in BOTH "smooth" and concave centered reverses. They typically had thin, full width, baseplates under either the hinge, the catch or both hinge and catch. These are the Knauer examples as far as I'm aware.

Further, I have a suspicion that there were wartime awards made in tombak as private purchase - those I would assign to Zimmermann based on hardware.

Brian, re your example, can you provide measurements? The reverse looks soft, the hinge looks unusual and the catchplate looks like it has been attached off-center (ie it sticks out to the reverse left). The latter is very unusual as, from what I can gather, the baseplates were attached and then hand finished to perfectly match the cross arm edges. I have a suspicion you example may be a casting.

Regards

Mike

Regards

Mike

Edited by Mike K

Hi Tom,

Where did that info come from? At this stage I disagree. The wartime awards with certainly in blackened iron, but are found in BOTH "smooth" and concave centered reverses. They typically had thin, full width, baseplates under either the hinge, the catch or both hinge and catch. These are the Knauer examples as far as I'm aware.

Further, I have a suspicion that there were wartime awards made in tombak as private purchase - those I would assign to Zimmermann based on hardware.

Brian, re your example, can you provide measurements? The reverse looks soft, the hinge looks unusual and the catchplate looks like it has been attached off-center (ie it sticks out to the reverse left). The latter is very unusual as, from what I can gather, the baseplates were attached and then hand finished to perfectly match the cross arm edges. I have a suspicion you example may be a casting.

Regards

Mike

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Just went down and took a good look at my example under very good light and a magnifyer and it isn't a casting. You can see the die marks on the edges though they are not too pronounced. The size is 45mm X 45mm with the ends of the cross being 21.5mm wide. This is a bit larger that the 2nd class I have in my collection. Just to be clear the catchplate is indeed a bit off centre.

Perhaps a different manufacturer or a late-war striking?

Regards

Brian

Hi Tom,

I should have said issue and private purchase. This was discussed in another forum long ago and far away.