News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Compton & sons: ok stamp?

Hello all,

Still struggling while trying to learn something from the HUGE area of British military headgear!

I was offered a General Service Cap almost in unused shape. Then today I browsed eban and found one similar cap + one older field service cap with same makers stamp.

Here is the General service cap at ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-British-General-Service-Cap-Dated-1945-/270575212021?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3eff8a15f5#ht_500wt_1182

Is this cap ok? Is the stamp ok? Starting price seems bit high, or what do you think? And cap badge is not included..

And here is the Field Service cap at ebay, same maker though stamp is not the same:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-British-Artillery-Cap-Hat-dated-1939-Mint-/130389240780?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5bcdebcc#ht_500wt_1182

Again, is the stamp ok? Cap looks good even if the badge is not in correct place...collector/seller don't want to make a hole for it which is understandable.

I'm not going to bid on either of these caps, just curious about the maker... And both above mentioned caps are in non-issued shape as is the one offered to me.

Hey, at least I've learnt the official names of these two cap types :)

Finally, below is the stamp from the GS cap offered for me. Even size is the same as on the one offered at eban.

Are these ok??

Thanks & rgds,

Miikka

Miikka,

I googled Compton and variations and found both Compton & Sons and Compton, Sons & Webb. From this I conclude that the two firms combined, or one took over the other. They still exist today, making uniforms etc., as Compton Webb.

I also found J. Compton & Sons, Compton & Sons and Compton, Sons & Webb as button manufacturers with photographs showing the three names.

It would therefore seem that the stamp is correct in all examples that you have shown.

I collect British Military headgear 1768-1942, see Collectors' Showcase if you are interested, but could never get excited over a General Service Cap or "Cap, Ridiculous" as it was dubbed, but thank god that we all have different tastes as otherwise much would be lost :D

Stuart

Miikka,

I googled Compton and variations and found both Compton & Sons and Compton, Sons & Webb. From this I conclude that the two firms combined, or one took over the other. They still exist today, making uniforms etc., as Compton Webb.

I also found J. Compton & Sons, Compton & Sons and Compton, Sons & Webb as button manufacturers with photographs showing the three names.

It would therefore seem that the stamp is correct in all examples that you have shown.

I collect British Military headgear 1768-1942, see Collectors' Showcase if you are interested, but could never get excited over a General Service Cap or "Cap, Ridiculous" as it was dubbed, but thank god that we all have different tastes as otherwise much would be lost :D

Stuart

Thank you Stuart for your advice!

And thank you VERY much pointing me to see your collection.... So far I've gone through first 4-5 pages and your collection continues to amaze me, post after post.... and also the variety of regimental headger that has been used!!

Well, after seeing your interest I don't wonder why "Cap, Ridiculous" does not tempt you at all and I think that's why your collecting era stops at 1942 :) But I've a late WW2 batle dress which needs a top ;o)

Gotta work for a while but must go back and see your amazing collection soon..!

Thanks again,

Miikka

Indeed Stuart, too much would be lost..

After I've completed my display I'll post it.

I do have quite a big collection of Finnish uniforms and some German TR era Waffenrock's. Just recently I also started to pick up some British/Commonwealth items and I'm finding this area more and more interesting due to regimental differencies etc. Downside is that in here availability of British uniform items, even at military shows, is non-existent. No changes even to handle real things...

I've bought some books that have been recommended (two volumes of "From D-day to V-day" and another two volume series "The World War II Tommy") but I'd like to get more information, also about better dresses from the WW1 - WW2 era. Could you recommend some books?

With best rgds,

Miikka

I forgot to add two of the most important books on British Uniforms and they are -

British Infantry Uniforms since 1660 by Michael Barthorp

British Cavalry Uniforms since 1660 by Michael Barthorp

I find www.bookfinder.com most useful for searching.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates