News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MIX OF MINOR AWARDS

The following three minor awards recently came-in as a group and I thought I would post them together. All of them have been shown many times in the past - however, they are all boxed and I will put a few details about them.

The first is the Queen's Coronation medal for 1953. This is a common medal - in fact 129,000 were issued - value wise about £40 ($60). They were not named. What I found a little unusual is that it is still in its box - and something I didn't know - came with ribbon and mountings for both men and women. Mostly you see them with the ribbon on, and the box lost.

This next one is the very common Imperial General Service Medal - I.G.S. - usually awarded to retiring public servants i.e. Postmen, etc..

For this reason it has a low value - about £20-25 ($30-35). They are named with the recipient - in this case William Stephenson. The award was first made in August 1902. The award comes in a very good case and is in fact, an attractive medal.

The fact that is overlooked, is that in the official order of precedence, it ranks Number 29 - ahead of all the Military Crosses and most of the Gallantry Awards. I think it is so high because of the Imperial Service Order, which is 28th. - even so, for such a well made piece - why is it at such a give-away price ?

I think that this is the most interesting of the three - it is an original M.B.E. (Member of the British Empire) with the presentation box.

The Order was instituted by King George 5th. in June 1917 - mainly as an extra level of awards. Britain had got along very well in earlier years with quite a limited range of decorations and awards - however, the vast numbers of men fighting on our side created a need for additional ways to reward Gallantry and Loyal service.

The original format had the figure of Brittania on the front and the ribbon was purple with a central scarlet stripe, if it was a Military Award - the box and stripe show us that this one was such an award. The other point is that the silver hallmark is for 1919 - so a 1st World War award. 1936 saw Brittania changed to the profiles of King George and Queen Mary. The ribbon colour was also changed at that date. The box is a little battered - but, bear in mind it is 91 years old.

having picked up a imperial service medal recently myself i do have to say that they are a very very well made medal and quite attractive! as you said it is quite an under valued medal!!!

They can be very interesting as well. I have a friend in the prison service who is in charge of a small private museum at Wandsworth. He collects ISMs to Prison officers and with his research abilities he has bought some amazing ones, including some to officers who were commended for helping put down prison riots and break-outs and some who had interesting previous military service. Not bad for a small amount of money.

All the best,

Paul

Paul - thank you for that information - much appreciated. I used to visit Wandsworth quite often with prisoners on remand - grim place.

I have a couple of Prison swords, but they are named for different prisons. Mervyn