News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

R.N ww1 war medal question

picked this war medal up at a fair today and its named to R.Hughes STO.1 R.N.,i was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with some info on the guy or what ship he servied on!also from what im told they normally have the ships name on them but this one doesn't,is that common? any help would be fantastic! :beer:

Try the National Archives on line:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/browse-refine.asp?searchType=browserefine&query=last_name%3Dhughes&catID=15&pageNumber=1&queryType=1&mediaArray=*

I've just tapped in the name "Hughes", there are a lot of them (including an RO Hughes from Bangor on the first page).

Put in his service number & hopefully you've got him - after you've paid a couple of quid.

No a Stoker 1st class was the equivalent of the AB rate (Sto 2nd class = Ordinary seaman)

You had Leading Stokers = Leading Seaman equivalent

Then PO and CPO Stokers who would have been in charge of a section

Edited by Odin Mk 3

On the question of the name of the ship being included on the medal for RN issues - this was the case for most Victorian campaigns. The only 20th Century Campaign Medals which show the ship were the Africa General Service Medal up to 1920 (RN mainly qualified for bars for Somaliland 1902-04, Somaliland 1908-10 and Somaliland 1920) and the Naval General Service Medal 1915 with the bar Persian Gulf 1909-1914. The practice stopped again up until the South Atlantic Medal in 1982 which has the ship name included but subsequent medals have not shown the ship.

The Naval Long Service and Good Conduct Medal included the name of the ship for RN personnel and show the ship he served on when he qualified for his LS. Sadly this practice was stopped in around 1980.

• 1 month later...

so got his service record and to be honest most of it says "3 days in the cells" so looks like he liked a good fight or 3!!! :beer:

am i right in saving he was a naval air station in 1913(pembroke 2)

thanks for any info!!

Edited by paddywhack